PDA

View Full Version : oh dear

t5tart
31st January 2014, 03:19
I thought she was sounding a bit throaty

http://www.edgeplay.co.uk/osp/exhaust.jpg

crofts
31st January 2014, 05:23
Silencer itself still looks quite good. Think I would find a sleeve that fits over exhaust pipe. cut appropriate length. have it welded to silencer outlet, Then refit with exh clamp. (assumes good thickness of silencer inlet)
Wire brush rust on silencer (& inlet/outlet & join) and paint with Hammerite primer
I have done this with great success. (you can spray silver on to primer but you don't see silencer from behind so really no need)

t5tart
31st January 2014, 14:50
Silencer itself still looks quite good. Think I would find a sleeve that fits over exhaust pipe. cut appropriate length. have it welded to silencer outlet, Then refit with exh clamp. (assumes good thickness of silencer inlet)
Wire brush rust on silencer (& inlet/outlet & join) and paint with Hammerite primer
I have done this with great success. (you can spray silver on to primer but you don't see silencer from behind so really no need)

just replaced the back box ;)

VMax1000
31st January 2014, 18:52
£70 for a back box.............just replace it.

That pipe at the box doesn't looks like it would cope with welding very well :)

Besides, £40 in labour and £10 in parts for a bodge fix?:shrug:

whitevanman
31st January 2014, 19:03
An easier bodge is to go inside the pipework using a piece of pipe the same size cut all along it's length so that it compresses to the smaller size. Do it right and no welding is necessary as the cut bit closes up enough to seal.
Just a clamp up and bit of paste.

Not done it on the Rover but have others in the past..:}

VMax1000
31st January 2014, 20:05
An easier bodge is to go inside the pipework using a piece of pipe the same size cut all along it's length so that it compresses to the smaller size. Do it right and no welding is necessary as the cut bit closes up enough to seal.
Just a clamp up and bit of paste.

Not done it on the Rover but have others in the past..:}

Sort of like the Russian Doll principle?

Pipe into a pipe..........into..........

For the sake of £70 and 4 years + use, it comes down to 17.50 a year.
With 10K miles a year that's £0.00175 a mile

Get a new box :)