PDA

View Full Version : Not the usual number plate light issue...

coolasacucumber
31st January 2014, 10:18
Recently I replaced the whole number plate light unit as mine wasn't working, and all was hunky dory.

Now, both lights come on fine, but after about 30 mins of them being on, the n/s light stops working.

Since I noticed it, it has happened every time that I have checked since.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

MangoMan
31st January 2014, 10:26
Obviously the connections are heating up and then reacting like a bi-metal strip and disconnecting and then cooling down and working once off.

First check that the Bulbs are the correct wattage, 5watt not 10 as some people fit which causes the problem in the first place usually.

Is the Light Fitting you bought new? If so then return it. If not, you've been had and best thing to do is do a mod as described on the site and put that one back.

trimani
31st January 2014, 10:29
Make sure light unit contacts are clean and holding bulb firmly.

trimani (Alf)

coolasacucumber
31st January 2014, 11:17
Thanks for the replies.

I bought it from a local breaker, but it was in very good condition, no signs of corrosion etc.

I'll check the wattage, and see gain if te bulb is seated properly. But as it always works initially, I suspect something a bit more serious.

Mike Noc
31st January 2014, 12:21
Did you check the circuit board before installing it?

The boards commonly corrode or burn out so the one from the breakers may already be well on the way.

Easy enough to strip it out and hard wire it. :D

Simon.h
31st January 2014, 17:18
I had the same problem, it's a bad design.
I soldered wires to the bulb holders and totally bypassed the printed board.

Woodsie
31st January 2014, 18:40
I had a similar problem, I read on here that canbus friendly LED bulbs were a good solution so I got some on e bay for around a fiver. They have been fitted for about 3-4 months and still fine. Don't know why but they seem to work.

Demon
31st January 2014, 20:25
I had the same problem, it's a bad design.
I soldered wires to the bulb holders and totally bypassed the printed board.

I did this very same thing 18 months (and 2 MOTs) ago. Just cost some cheap wire, make sure it's all sealed up and you might have a solution that would outlive a new one that would eventually go the same way!

mantianak
1st February 2014, 17:00
I got fed up with mine breaking so hard wired/soldered everything together, including some led bulbs! Bit of a pain if the led's were to fail but at least it's not intermittent anymore.