PDA

View Full Version : Fuel gauge

Dazbag
31st January 2014, 16:54
Hi, Air Bag light fixed
Door open warning fixed
Now stuck with this stupid fuel gauge............The needle just seems to be all over the place. Put a full tank of diesel in an it showed 3 quarters full, then it shows empty, the low fuel light comes on when you first start the car but then never comes on at all.
Ran out of fuel last night just after the needle fell from a quarter to nil in one second :getmecoat:.
Took the back seat out to see if there was any water causing the problem but bone dry.
Please Help.
MGZT 2004 Thank you

FrenchMike
31st January 2014, 17:02
Hi,

Check if your senders are correct:

Mike

Dazbag
31st January 2014, 17:09
Took of the metal plates over the sender, all seem to be untouched.
Is this normaly the Problem ??
Thanks for your quick reply

pab
31st January 2014, 17:10
Hi,

Check if your senders are correct:

Mike
Why wouldn't these be correct. Could this be a case of oxidisation of the connection pins?

Dazbag
31st January 2014, 17:15
Disconected the plug and all seems like new, no problems there

Dazbag
31st January 2014, 17:20
Disconected the plug and all seems like new, no problems there

How do you get the box on the left to show that you have said Thanks :getmecoat:

SORTED NOW

FrenchMike
31st January 2014, 17:29
Why wouldn't these be correct. Could this be a case of oxidisation of the connection pins?

No,generally the prob is here (if the resistor values are not
in the 5...160 ohms range)

Dazbag
31st January 2014, 17:32
Oh i need to take that out of the tank to check. Is it an easy job???

FrenchMike
31st January 2014, 17:45
Oh i need to take that out of the tank to check. Is it an easy job???

Not yet,take the resistor measurement first.

Don't you have the IT Pump replaced recently ?

Dazbag
31st January 2014, 17:51
Not yet,take the resistor measurement first.

Don't you have the IT Pump replaced recently ?
Only had the car since December, working my way through its small problems so have bought a Haynes book but don't have a clue about electrical issues.

okenora
1st February 2014, 12:32
just to eliminate this one, your speedo is working fine? And your ABS light illuminates at ignition on?

fusilier50
2nd February 2014, 00:28
my fuel gauge was going all over the place too and tried everything too figure out what was wrong to no avail.

I then had exhaust issues which meant taking it to kwik fit to have a look underneath. Apart from the exhaust falling to bits i noticed the fuel tank was apparently crushed on one side. Very odd. I had noticed on a number of occasions that there was always a strong vacuum whenever i filled up but didnt think anything of it. I was told it was quite common in older cars.

I started putting the fuel cap on loosely to see if it would have any effect and it did. Fuel gauge works perfectly even down to quarter of a tank ( i then wimped out and filled up again) and no vacuum. As the tank was being sucked in it was causing a false reading on the gauge. I now have to figure out how to relieve the pressure in the tank rather than leave a loose fuel cap on.

I'm no mechanic and the above could have just been a coincidence but ive had no problems or reoccurences of false readings since.

MrDoodles
2nd February 2014, 08:49
Not sure where it is, but is sounds like your vent is blocked, pretty sure that all fuel tanks have them, for the very reason that you mention! :}

It may be worth checking hoses 14 and 15 on here! ;)

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID001964

Dazbag
3rd February 2014, 08:01
Wil try leaving the cap loose.
If that works then i would think that my breather is blocked.
Thank you.

HarryM1BYT
3rd February 2014, 10:34
Not sure where it is, but is sounds like your vent is blocked, pretty sure that all fuel tanks have them, for the very reason that you mention! :}

It may be worth checking hoses 14 and 15 on here! ;)

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID001964

Modern cars don't have straight forward vents, they use what I think is called an evap system. Gases from the above fuel space are drawn into the engine to be burned and always work on a very slight vacuum.

the tank imploding, suggest this system has gone wrong.