PDA

View Full Version : Knocking noise from front end

tdi90
2nd February 2014, 14:01
Hi all.

Any suggestions of what could be causing a knocking noise from the front (mainly passenger side) when going over any kind of bump?

It had 2 new complete front suspension legs this time last year (struts, springs & top bearings). I've checked both springs and neither are broken.
I changed the lower engine mount a few months ago (geniune new CDTi one)

MOT is due next month so would like to try and sort myself than pay £70 per hour at the MOT place

okenora
2nd February 2014, 14:08
drop links, wishbone ball joints (lower outer rather than inner), wishbone bushes. All easily tested with a prybar and/or your eye. Not much more at the front to clunk that you haven't changed recently.

HarryM1BYT
2nd February 2014, 14:12
A lighter rattles - probably the drop links, heavier the wishbone bushes. An easy check is the balljoints - just try waggling each wheel side to side and listen for a knock or feel for play at the ball joint..

tdi90
2nd February 2014, 15:20
Thanks guys :}

I had a wiggle of the wheels and no noise from either side and cant feel any play at all.

Its quite a heavy knock so maybe wish bones. It'd be nice to have a wee but of dry, non gale force wind weather to get it up on axle stands and have a closer look.

I'm a suspension novice btw. I've changed brake discs etc but never fiddled with suspension bar changing a CV joint on an A4 Audi :getmecoat:

okenora
2nd February 2014, 16:45
try turning/rocking the wheel forward and back by hand, any movement is likely the rear wishbone bush.

With the wheel off the ground and the car secured on axle stands rock the wheel top and bottom, very firmly, any movement is likely the lower wishbone ball joint