PDA

View Full Version : MOT failed :-( Part numbers required please!

rgtly
2nd February 2014, 17:05
Hi all,

Car failed the MOT today on a few bits :(

The main item I am trying to check prices for is described as 'offside rear (main front to rear) brake pipe'. Will need near side too as that got an advisory as slightly corroded. I had a quick look on Rimmer Bros but am struggling to identify the correct part so if somebody could point me in the right direction that would be great :}

Also got various points on the rear brake. That's 2 MOT's in a row now needing work on the rear brake!! Need to investigate what is needed there though. I did the compensator and pads last year. Guess I'm looking at calipers or something this time. Failure points were 'Parking brake efficiency below requirements', 'Offside rear brake recording little or no effort' and 'Nearside rear (wheel tight to turn) mechanical brake component has restricted free movement'.

I had to laugh when I read the advisories though.....I have had a Stainless exhaust fitted for a couple of years now with no comment on the MOT but this time I got 'Exhaust is noisy)!!! Also had to chuckle at 'Engine covers fitted obscuring some components in the engine bay'!

All in all I guess it's not too bad for a 12 year old car!

KWIL
2nd February 2014, 17:34
Looks like your handbrake shoes need attending to and also freeing the handbrake levers in the rear brake back plates. As regards the long front to back pipes, I agree Rimmer's drawings are confusing, most repairers make up pipes to fit.

okenora
2nd February 2014, 17:39
Offside rear brake recording little or no effort

could be possibly a seized caliper as well......sounds like the rear brakes need a good service, loads of copper grease and a service/adjustment of the handbrake.

johnnybbad
2nd February 2014, 18:20
The ZT i just sold failed mot on exactly the same brake pipes, front to rear both sides

Mechanic i use charged my £80 to renew

Easier to make them up rather than buy preformed

Ive looked at the pictures on RimmerBros, and those diagrams make no sense at all :}

windrush
2nd February 2014, 18:41
So sorry to see the result of your MOT Rachel.Why not send messenger a PM he may be able to help you out

rgtly
2nd February 2014, 21:03
Ive looked at the pictures on RimmerBros, and those diagrams make no sense at all :}

Glad it's not just me being dim then!! :D

Thank you everyone for your input. Hopefully my normal mechanic will be able to source the right parts then!

MF1980
3rd February 2014, 10:51
Right hand rear brake pipe is number 9 on the diagram, that joins between the rear flexi and connector number 8. No longer available anyway!