PDA

View Full Version : Tyre wear

Allegroboi
2nd February 2014, 19:35
Today I was cleaning the car and my tyres have generally always worn evenly across all 4 tyres.

But today I noticed that one of my rear tyres needs replacing. The outer edge on nearside rear is totally smooth.

Bearing in mind I have had no prior problems and this has happened within about 3 weeks do you have any ideas?

Thanks in advance as usual guys

Ian

r44flyer
2nd February 2014, 19:38
Likely a suspension issue. Jack that corner and remove wheel to check condition of spring and shock and any obvious problems with bushes. Any issues, replace in pairs and have 4 wheel alignment done.

Ross R75
2nd February 2014, 21:03
Today I was cleaning the car and my tyres have generally always worn evenly across all 4 tyres.

But today I noticed that one of my rear tyres needs replacing. The outer edge on nearside rear is totally smooth.

Bearing in mind I have had no prior problems and this has happened within about 3 weeks do you have any ideas?

Thanks in advance as usual guys

Ian

Very common, incorrect toe setting causing different thrust angles between the 2 axles. Alignment has to be done on a machine that measures from a fixed reference point. Having a "4 wheel laser alignment" is no good as they hang the lasers from the wheels, assuming that either the front or rear are correctly aligned to start with.

Replace the rear tyres, check all of the suspension arms and bushes for wear/play and then have the alignment done on the hunter system: www.alignmycar.com

MrDoodles
2nd February 2014, 21:10
Just bear in mind which way we go round roundabouts in this Country as well! ;)

Allegroboi
2nd February 2014, 21:38
Likely a suspension issue. Jack that corner and remove wheel to check condition of spring and shock and any obvious problems with bushes. Any issues, replace in pairs and have 4 wheel alignment done.
I was worried that this may be the case

Very common, incorrect toe setting causing different thrust angles between the 2 axles. Alignment has to be done on a machine that measures from a fixed reference point. Having a "4 wheel laser alignment" is no good as they hang the lasers from the wheels, assuming that either the front or rear are correctly aligned to start with.

Replace the rear tyres, check all of the suspension arms and bushes for wear/play and then have the alignment done on the hunter system: www.alignmycar.com

Thanks for this, this appears to have been a sudden problem so wondering about the first reply

Just bear in mind which way we go round roundabouts in this Country as well! ;)

I have driven the car just short 95,000 miles and this is the first time this has happened

Cheers again guys

MrDoodles
3rd February 2014, 08:34
I have driven the car just short 95,000 miles and this is the first time this has happened

Have you checked the pressures then, as alloys get older, they tend to corrode where the bead meets the wheel and they lose pressure, which would have the same effect! :}