PDA

View Full Version : Fuse

Dazbag
3rd February 2014, 09:50
Hi, Can anyone please tell me why my Glove box light won't work.
Can't find any fuse for it.
MGZT Diesel.
Thankyou. :duh:

MangoMan
3rd February 2014, 10:04
Should come under Interior Lamps, Fuse 13.... Obviously if Interior Lights ar OK then it could be the bulb, switch or connections.

Or, if you have the smaller type fuses, it could be Fuse 7 or 32.

HarryM1BYT
3rd February 2014, 10:14
Its fed from the BCU via the purple /white wire, in common with the interior and boot light - so if those are working, your glove box light should be working. Have you actually tested the bulb.

MangoMan
3rd February 2014, 10:28
And am I correct in saying that it only works when your lights are on, ie. Headlights etc.

Dazbag
3rd February 2014, 10:35
Changed bulb twice.
Where is the switch for the Glovebox light???

HarryM1BYT
3rd February 2014, 10:47
Changed bulb twice.
Where is the switch for the Glovebox light???

According to Rave, the switch it is built into the lamp unit.

Maybe time to get the meter out, or even better a test lamp - check there is 12v on the purple/white, between that and a known good earth. Check between the purple/white and the black wire (which it the earth) that it has an earth.

HarryM1BYT
3rd February 2014, 10:49
And am I correct in saying that it only works when your lights are on, ie. Headlights etc.

No, it only works when your interior lights are working.

MangoMan
3rd February 2014, 10:52
As Harry states, the Switch is part of the Light Assy.

MangoMan
3rd February 2014, 10:54
No, it only works when your interior lights are working.

So you are saying that the light will only come on when your Interior Lights are on?

I thought it worked whether your Interior Light are on or not.

MangoMan
3rd February 2014, 11:03
Daz, I'm pretty sure that light only works when either the Side/Headlights are on, or your Ignition is on, or both... Have you tried this???

Mike Noc
3rd February 2014, 11:54
Hi, Can anyone please tell me why my Glove box light won't work.
Can't find any fuse for it.
MGZT Diesel.
Thankyou. :duh:

Try turning the interior lights on and then off from the overhead lamp main switch - that can sometimes reset the glovebox light and the vanity mirror lights if fitted. ;)

HarryM1BYT
3rd February 2014, 12:28
Daz, I'm pretty sure that light only works when either the Side/Headlights are on, or your Ignition is on, or both... Have you tried this???

It only works when the interior lighting is available, as in enabled by the BCU. It is nothing to do with ignition or side or headlights, though I agree it can be quite confusing. The boot, interior lights and glove box, are all fed from the one source, the purple /white wire. So the first check is to ensure the interior lights are active and that the P/W is live. It follows the same rules of operation as your interior lights, except it has its own switch which disables it with the lid closed.

With no activity from the car, the p/w is powered down by the BCU after around 15minutes, as a power saving option. It is also possible to disable all interior lighting via the interior light switch.

Never assume a replacement lamp is good, always check it.

The OP has yet to confirm whether his boot and interior lights are working normally, so maybe we are all away on a wild goose chase.

HarryM1BYT
3rd February 2014, 12:30
Try turning the interior lights on and then off from the overhead lamp main switch - that can sometimes reset the glovebox light and the vanity mirror lights if fitted. ;)

A long press disables, then a long press re -enables.

We need to know if the interior lights are working normally or not!

MangoMan
3rd February 2014, 15:07
The OP has yet to confirm whether his boot and interior lights are working normally, so maybe we are all away on a wild goose chase.

I'm with you there Harry..... :rolleyes:

Mike Noc
3rd February 2014, 16:30
A long press disables, then a long press re -enables.

We need to know if the interior lights are working normally or not!

Agreed. The fault I get isn't to do with the usual disabling of the system.

Have had the map lights, vanity mirror lights and the glovebox light all fail to work at the same time on my car on a few occasions, and a quick on off of the main roof light switch restores them back to normal again.

I've got an idea about why it happens but haven't put it to the test yet.

Dazbag
3rd February 2014, 18:29
Tried it with lights on, lights off, all doors open and with Engine running.
All other lights work, Boot Interior etc.
Can't make head nor tail of it.

suzublu
3rd February 2014, 18:32
Mine goes off sometimes,I just give it a tap,& it usually comes back on :shrug: Just a loose connection,or bulb not seated right.:}

Dazbag
3rd February 2014, 18:37
Tried that, tapped it banged it, Kicked it,,,,,,,,,now im looking for my Sledge hammer

Dazbag
3rd February 2014, 18:37
Tried that, tapped it banged it, Kicked it,,,,,,,,,now im looking for my Sledge hammer
LOL:bowdown: :getmecoat:

Dazbag
4th February 2014, 13:06
Tried to reset the lights, still no joy

HarryM1BYT
4th February 2014, 13:33
Answer this question, which seems to be causing so much confusion.....

Is it just your glove box light not working, or is it all of the interior lighting and boot light?

MangoMan
4th February 2014, 13:40
No, it's just the Glovebox Light.

HarryM1BYT
4th February 2014, 16:54
No, it's just the Glovebox Light.

The OP is yet to confirm that!

{EDIT] I see he has, after all.....

Right OK...

With the interior lights on, check for 12v between the purple/white and ground - there should be 12v there. The best way to check is with a test lamp, just a 12v bulb with two bits of wire connected one to the base, one to the soldered terminal.

If there is, then your fault is limited to the lamp, the light fitting, or the black earth wire.

Note with the interior lights off, there is no guarantee that the purple/white will be live. The BCU is programmed to switch the supply off after a period of none use.

Dazbag
4th February 2014, 17:05
Going to test the wires next and will let you know how i get on,,,,,,,,,,,Thanks for all your help

raykay
4th February 2014, 18:02
With the interior lights on, check for 12v between the purple/white and ground - there should be 12v there. The best way to check is with a test lamp, just a 12v bulb with two bits of wire connected one to the base, one to the soldered terminal.

If there is, then your fault is limited to the lamp, the light fitting, or the black earth wire.

Note with the interior lights off, there is no guarantee that the purple/white will be live. The BCU is programmed to switch the supply off after a period of none use.

It is the Purple/Slate cable that feeds the glove box light should be 12v live when tested.

The Purple/White cable is only a feed to the interior lights and can be programmed by the BCU.

HarryM1BYT
4th February 2014, 18:10
It is the Purple/Slate cable that feeds he glove box light should be 12v live when tested.

The Purple/White cable is only a feed to the interior lights and can be programmed by the BCU.

Mio culpa -You are correct, but they all loose their 12v supply from the BCU at the same time.

The P/S also feed the vanity mirror lights, if fitted.

Thinking about it, I wonder if there might be a short on the vanity mirror feed, if it has been left unused? That would kill the supply to the glove box.

raykay
4th February 2014, 18:57
If the interior lights work when switched on, it won't be a short on the cable as they are on the same Purple/Slate circuit.

It is the automatic feed to the interior lights that is on the Purple/White cable.

HarryM1BYT
4th February 2014, 20:47
If the interior lights work when switched on, it won't be a short on the cable as they are on the same Purple/Slate circuit.

It is the automatic feed to the interior lights that is on the Purple/White cable.

You said above, and I agree, that the interior lights are on the P/W cable.

The P/S is a separate feed for glove box and vanity lighting. A fault on the P/S would be unlikely to affect the interior lights, or at least I would have thought.

At this point, I am giving up on this thread until the OP comes back with the results of the tests I originally suggested he make, in post #6 :duh:

raykay
4th February 2014, 21:18
The interior lights both have Purple/Slate feed for the map reading lamps, if they work when switched on, the circuit is OK.
The problem will be at the glove box end, - connector (is it plugged in?), switch, or lamp holder