PDA

View Full Version : Key difficult to get in Ignition

Dominic22
3rd February 2014, 10:09
Having a strange problem.

The key is really really difficult to get into the ignition. Once in the car starts fine but really difficult to get into the ignition barrell I have tried some Silicon Spray but it has not helped. I have left the key in at the minute as worried that once I take it out it will not work again.

The Key is fine so there is no damage there, any ideas

HarryM1BYT
3rd February 2014, 10:25
Having a strange problem.

The key is really really difficult to get into the ignition. Once in the car starts fine but really difficult to get into the ignition barrell I have tried some Silicon Spray but it has not helped. I have left the key in at the minute as worried that once I take it out it will not work again.

The Key is fine so there is no damage there, any ideas

Is the key perhaps a replacement, which hasn't been properly cut. Does the key fit the door locks without issues?

I understand you can get new ignition barrels and rebuild them to match the key, if that turns out to be worn, but you must be able to get your key in, to get the old barrel out.

KWIL
3rd February 2014, 11:22
Have you still got a flat key? A slight bend will cause a similar effect and from what you say this has "happened" rather than just getting worse.

Dominic22
3rd February 2014, 12:03
It is my Limo which I rarely use so I think that has something to do with it. had been sitting not used for 4 or 5 months... I have now used WD40 ( I know not ideal) what has made it a lot better

johnnybbad
3rd February 2014, 16:57
I found with my old ZT that if the steering lock was on then key went in fine

When steering lock was not engaged it was a right pig to get in