PDA

View Full Version : decat pipe

chrishumphries
4th February 2014, 19:41
Evening all, I've just received my decat pipe from any exhaust part - nice quality item, (thanks Wullie ) can anyone tell me if I need a gasket to fit it to the manifold u-bend or will my friendly fitters use paste ?
On another note, I've just seen a post saying the MOT regs have been amended (DMGRS) and a cat must be present if fitted from new, so have I just gone and wasted £90 ?

pab
4th February 2014, 20:00
Evening all, I've just received my decat pipe from any exhaust part - nice quality item, (thanks Wullie ) can anyone tell me if I need a gasket to fit it to the manifold u-bend or will my friendly fitters use paste ?
On another note, I've just seen a post saying the MOT regs have been amended (DMGRS) and a cat must be present if fitted from new, so have I just gone and wasted £90 ?
Very true, the legislation is changing. The new ruling has been on the cards for some time. I would suggest you go and talk to your local MOT station before making any modifications.

chrishumphries
4th February 2014, 20:14
I ve just read through the new legislation and it applies to DPF's (diesel particulate filters). The way I'm reading it is it applies to a dpf which, to quote the new reg, needs to be emptied of trapped particulates regularly. This is done by a process called regeneration.
Unless catalytic converters are now considered a DPF even though they cannot (I think !) be regenerated I'm not sure it applies. I will have a chat with my MOT tester tomorrow and see if he can shed any light.
Otherwise I have a nice new shiny ornament !

pab
4th February 2014, 20:28
That's the best move, have a chat with them before you move forward on the modification..

chrishumphries
4th February 2014, 20:31
Here is the relevent web page
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/diesel-particulate-filters-guidance-note

murphyv310
4th February 2014, 20:34
Why not remove the innards from your cat? I won't tell the MOT man if you dont !

mh007
4th February 2014, 20:38
I ve just read through the new legislation and it applies to DPF's (diesel particulate filters). The way I'm reading it is it applies to a dpf which, to quote the new reg, needs to be emptied of trapped particulates regularly. This is done by a process called regeneration.
Unless catalytic converters are now considered a DPF even though they cannot (I think !) be regenerated I'm not sure it applies. I will have a chat with my MOT tester tomorrow and see if he can shed any light.
Otherwise I have a nice new shiny ornament !

The new legislation applies to DPF's & Catalytic Converters (although the link you've supplied is for the DPF)

Basically, if the vehicle left the factory with either or both & they have been visibly removed, it's a failure.

I know of several people who have had the DPF removed & the ECU re-mapped !

The same with the Diesel Cat.

As far as the Cat goes, it would probably be best to gut the original Cat rather than fit a De-Cat pipe.

Shabbs
4th February 2014, 20:40
I was going down the same route but will probably go with this now:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350985246248?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Mark2000cc
4th February 2014, 20:42
If I could go back in time, I wouldn't of done it, too much worrying about the mot, for no obvious gains.

If it added 60bhp to the car then it would be worth it lol

Jakg
4th February 2014, 20:43
If I could go back in time, I wouldn't of done it, too much worrying about the mot, for no obvious gains.

If it added 60bhp to the car then it would be worth it lol

If I could go back in time I still would of done it... but I wouldn't of scrapped the old cat! :duh:

Mark2000cc
4th February 2014, 20:45
If I could go back in time I still would of done it... but I wouldn't of scrapped the old cat! :duh:

Are you getting the mot done early?

chrishumphries
4th February 2014, 20:49
I ordered the decat pipe because my flexi pipe is split and this would have been the cheaper option than replacing with a new flexi and cat . We live and learn !

Jakg
4th February 2014, 20:51
Are you getting the mot done early?
15th of February even though it doesn't expire until the end of March...

Gives me an extra 11 months to think of a solution!

Mark2000cc
4th February 2014, 20:52
I ordered the decat pipe because my flexi pipe is split and this would have been the cheaper option than replacing with a new flexi and cat . We live and learn !

Exactly the same as me mate!

Mark2000cc
4th February 2014, 20:54
15th of February even though it doesn't expire until the end of March...

Gives me an extra 11 months to think of a solution!

Good thinking mate!
I personally still think we will be fine, the testers do not have a checklist of what the cars were originally fitted with, they are not going to be that bothered as it takes time away from checking safety related items.

However I would double check with your tester.

chrishumphries
4th February 2014, 20:54
I have just found this : https://mattersoftesting.blog.gov.uk/2014/01/27/inspecting-diesel-particulate-filters/
Reggub said Pooh.

Jakg
4th February 2014, 20:59
Good thinking mate!
I personally still think we will be fine, the testers do not have a checklist of what the cars were originally fitted with, they are not going to be that bothered as it takes time away from checking safety related items.
A petrol would most definitely fail because a cat is missing - and it's pretty obvious any car >2000 would of been made with a cat from the factory!

Hollowed out is an option but it's not something I've got the time to sort out now!

Simon.h
4th February 2014, 21:06
I read in a car magazine lately that if the car is tested for emissions and it left the factory with a cat it must present fir a mot, but diesels are not tested on emissions so its not needed.

Shabbs
4th February 2014, 21:14
Can you give me a link to your decat pipe?

Cheers.

chrishumphries
4th February 2014, 21:33
Shabbs, there you are : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111250653260?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Wullie, a member on here has arranged a discount price of £90 delivered. If you message the Kirk at All EXhaust Parts he will sort you out. He is up your neck of the woods.

Shabbs
4th February 2014, 21:35
Shabbs, there you are : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111250653260?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Wullie, a member on here has arranged a discount price of £90 delivered. If you message the Kirk at All EXhaust Parts he will sort you out. He is up your neck of the woods.

Cheers Chris.

Dragrad
5th February 2014, 00:30
Thread moved to appropriate forum. Re-direct left in old.

wullie480
5th February 2014, 09:33
I've made Kirk aware of the pending change to the MOT for diesels and he can have false cat made up that can be fitted to look as though it was never removed.
As the inspection is visual then would be fine.

Shabbs
5th February 2014, 11:24
I've made Kirk aware of the pending change to the MOT for diesels and he can have false cat made up that can be fitted to look as though it was never removed.
As the inspection is visual then would be fine.

Will you be offering the decat pipe with false cat or separate Wullie as I'm needing to replace mine. I'm in Lanarkshire so not too far away.

Cheers.

wullie480
5th February 2014, 11:45
Will you be offering the decat pipe with false cat or separate Wullie as I'm needing to replace mine. I'm in Lanarkshire so not too far away.

Cheers.

Hi Bud,

I don't actually sell these just know kirk from buying stuff for my zts.
I have 2 sitting to be fitted onto mine but now looking at fitting a false cat before I do that.
I'm sure Kirk will answer any questions you may have as I only made him aware of the cat issue yesterday I have had a chance to catch up with him.

Shabbs
6th February 2014, 14:50
Cheers Wullie, is Kirk on the forum or can you pm me his details?

Appreciated.

DennisA
6th February 2014, 15:06
I purchased one of Kirks decat pipes about a month ago and thankfully not fitted it yet.

I've been talking to Kirk by email about the various options, either have a dummy cat box or a free flow cat. Both are possible as is the fitting of the original cat box with the insides removed, but this has the probem of pipe diameters being different and would need a reducers fitted at each end with the length somewhat restricted this is possible but possibly not the best solution.

The main problem would probably getting it back to Reddich for many people but Kirk is looking into dummy boxes and I have an initial quote of around £40 fitted into the existing decat pipe but thats with me taking te pipe to him and I would fit it myself later. No price yet for the cost of fitting a free flow cat into the pipe.

I would suggest that anyone who wants to discuss things contacts him by email
"[email protected]", seems a nice guy and he is very willing to discuss options and costs.

Dennis

wullie480
6th February 2014, 18:46
Cheers Wullie, is Kirk on the forum or can you pm me his details?

Appreciated.

DennisA beat me to it his contact details are on the above post.

As Dennis says very helpful and will answer all your questions I also emailed earlier about getting a false cat made up. Will be short like a sports cat he says but with no inside so will pass the visual test.