PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent auto

johnnyb44
5th February 2014, 09:43
Good Morning
I don't know if anybody here has experienced the same issues as me but once in a blue moon i get a slight issue where when i select drive on the auto box it does not engage. If i jiggle the selector lever around a little it will then engage into drive. Would this just be a simple dirty switch under the gear selector lever that needs a little wd40 to clean it up or would it be something more sinister going on. It only seems to happen when the car is started from stone cold. Reverse is fine with no issues what so everAs i said earlier this really does happen once in a blue moon so i may be just over reacting.
Many thanks to john

James.uk
5th February 2014, 16:58
Oil up any linkage.. :)

capese21
5th February 2014, 20:03
My ZTT 2.5 V6 auto occasionally did the same. I sprayed the selector cable by the gearbox with loads of WD40. It has not done it now for about a year.

Ed:}

johnnyb44
6th February 2014, 07:51
I personally don't think its anything to serious but its always worth asking the question here just in case it is.
Many thanks both
John

bigbaldbloke
14th February 2014, 16:49
I have the same with mine John. Haven't got a solution for you, but at least you're not alone!

Kev

Fred7A
14th April 2016, 13:04
I see this is an old post, but I am having the same occasional problem on my auto, where Drive will not immediately engage when the selector is placed into D. It has happened more often lately, so does anyone have any other suggestions in addition to what has been posted here?

I mentioned the problem to my local garage, and they seemed to think it was a gearbox problem, which would not be good news...

TomRS
14th April 2016, 13:14
I see this is an old post, but I am having the same occasional problem on my auto, where Drive will not immediately engage when the selector is placed into D. It has happened more often lately, so does anyone have any other suggestions in addition to what has been posted here?

I mentioned the problem to my local garage, and they seemed to think it was a gearbox problem, which would not be good news...

On most auto boxes its usually a electric switch that controls the ecu, so for example when you select D,P,R,N its sent through a control module to the ECU, it can vary in how complicated the design is.
My first investigation if its only happening with D would be to replace/clean the selector switch and contacts.

fandango151
14th April 2016, 17:34
Exact same thing on mine. Nick at Austin garages fixed. Slight cable stretch.

Jack it up. Put it in park, undo the locking nut on the cable/arm then retighten as the cable will slip through and remove slack.

Edit: on the actual geaebox

Fred7A
14th April 2016, 17:43
Thanks, sounds like the cable is the first thing to check, followed by switch contacts. Hopefully nothing major then (fingers crossed)!