PDA

View Full Version : Stihl saws

wullie480
6th February 2014, 12:45
Any members know much about these?

I'm looking to buy one but not sure what models are better ones to avoid etc.

I'm looking for one to cut some slabs but also metal (I know the blades will be different)

Thanks in advance.

chipsceola
6th February 2014, 13:17
Any members know much about these?

I'm looking to buy one but not sure what models are better ones to avoid etc.

I'm looking for one to cut some slabs but also metal (I know the blades will be different)

Thanks in advance.

Just be careful you buy from trusted reliable source, featured on BBC watchdog in past year, many poor/unsafe copies about!

Snagger
6th February 2014, 13:32
If you are going for the STIHL brand which I recommend, any model from TS400 onward.

Another brand to consider would be PARTNER (HUSQVANA) any version after 700.

Of the two brands, the stihl is more balanced, the partner more compact, with a different feel.

Look for the hose attatchment for dust suppression on whichever you choose.

If your'e not planning on keeping what you buy, I recommend hiring one, as like a new car, as soon as you've bought it, it's value is going to plummet.

It's well worth buying a diamond tipped blade if you are cutting a lot concrete flags, as normal stone blades don't last long, a standard stone blade will cut metal as well, but not last as long as a dedicated metal blade, but a diamond tipped blade is purely for masonry, concrete, brick,stone, ie anything not metal.

Check out ebay for used prices.

Snagger.

kc13661
6th February 2014, 13:35
If you're not using it on a regular basis, then I would hire one from a reputable firm, usually come supplied with disc you require

wullie480
6th February 2014, 18:43
I did consider hiring but I need it on and off for the next couple of months so figured buying one would be easier.
Plenty on eBay,gumtree etc just wasn't sure what models to start looking at.