PDA

View Full Version : Strange starting issue

Amac
7th February 2014, 17:18
Well, hello everybody. You will no doubt notice that this is my first post! Following an unfortunate altercation with the back end of a low loader, my previous car was written off last week. Needing a car for work etc, I picked up a 2001 CDT and have been impressed.
Problem is that she has one or two strange issues. I will be honest and say that I have read previous postings regarding my main concern which is a starting issue. I have actually ordered a new cam sensor following other owners comments and will fit that tomorrow hopefully. Anyway, the car displays the strange symptom whereby she needs the key turning at least three times, particularly when cold, before she cranks over. I have heard the odd "click" and wonder if this might be a relay problem? There again, could be the cam sensor as suggested although I must admit that this would seem to be a strange solution to the problem! Maybe some worn heater plugs?
I actually teach motor vehicle students in a local college, and we will use my car for various "live" tasks allowing them to generate some of the evidence they will need to achieve their qualifications. The first job we successfully completed was to replace the N/S/R damper and top mount prior to the MOT due at the end of the month.
I was hoping that my OBD reader would advise me of any present faults via the ECU memory but the management light goes out as it should when engine running.
Finally, I , along with another couple of staff, had a nightmare of a job trying to get the drivers lock/central locking to work properly and I am currently driving the car minus the door card prior to receipt of a second hand window motor/regulator and central locking actuator/solenoid. Cant even lock her at the moment so will have to sort that one swiftly!
So there you go. Sorry for such a long and complexed first post but had to get it out of my system!!!
Bye for now,
Andy

FrenchMike
7th February 2014, 17:36
Well, hello everybody. You will no doubt notice that this is my first post! Following an unfortunate altercation with the back end of a low loader, my previous car was written off last week. Needing a car for work etc, I picked up a 2001 CDT and have been impressed.
Problem is that she has one or two strange issues. I will be honest and say that I have read previous postings regarding my main concern which is a starting issue. I have actually ordered a new cam sensor following other owners comments and will fit that tomorrow hopefully. Anyway, the car displays the strange symptom whereby she needs the key turning at least three times, particularly when cold, before she cranks over. I have heard the odd "click" and wonder if this might be a relay problem? There again, could be the cam sensor as suggested although I must admit that this would seem to be a strange solution to the problem! Maybe some worn heater plugs?
I actually teach motor vehicle students in a local college, and we will use my car for various "live" tasks allowing them to generate some of the evidence they will need to achieve their qualifications. The first job we successfully completed was to replace the N/S/R damper and top mount prior to the MOT due at the end of the month.
I was hoping that my OBD reader would advise me of any present faults via the ECU memory but the management light goes out as it should when engine running.
Finally, I , along with another couple of staff, had a nightmare of a job trying to get the drivers lock/central locking to work properly and I am currently driving the car minus the door card prior to receipt of a second hand window motor/regulator and central locking actuator/solenoid. Cant even lock her at the moment so will have to sort that one swiftly!
So there you go. Sorry for such a long and complexed first post but had to get it out of my system!!!
Bye for now,
Andy

Hi, and be welcome

Please do an injector leakback test firstly..:}

Or follow this:

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=109615

Supposing your plenum is dried...

Mike

vincentfishing
7th February 2014, 18:07
with my very limited knowledge, camshaft sensor will not cure you having to turn the key 3 times before it cranks over ,will turn over with or without sensor promblem i think,sounds more like ignition problem or bad earth maybe, sure some one will advise you better though !!

suffolk boy
7th February 2014, 18:20
as mike says check the injectors.it only needs one to be out of spec.this is enough to cause the pressure on the fuel rail to drop and hence the starting issue also check your pumps are working and finally do not bother with the glow plugs .i amoungst many others do not use them.plus they have a tendancy to snap off in the head trying to get them out.

Amac
7th February 2014, 18:33
Thanks for the swift responses folks! Didn't consider the injector issue. Sounds feasible to me. Will also check out the earthing connections etc. Will have to look around the forum ref the injector leak back testing procedure.
Many thanks,
Andy

Amac
7th February 2014, 18:44
Blimey Mike, that is a useful link! Andy

SD1too
8th February 2014, 08:06
... she needs the key turning at least three times, particularly when cold, before she cranks over. I have heard the odd "click" ...
Isn't the prime suspect the starter solenoid Andy?

Simon

kc13661
8th February 2014, 08:20
Can I ask, once it starts will it then start without any issues, Is this just a 'Col Engine' issue,

I ask this as mine was similar, try doing this... turn the ignition on then hold it for several seconds. Turn it off then straight back on and try starting... see if it goes.

If this does work, and there is not an issue when the engine is hot, then do not dismiss the issue of having a faulty 'In Tank Fuel Pump' there are many write ups regarding this, a quick way of testing if this is working is take the fuel filler cap off, put your ear to the opening and get a second person to turn the ignition to 1st position.... Did you hear a 'whirring' noise... if not then would suggest the pump is faulty, result is the 'Pump in the Engine Bay' is having to do twice as much work pulling the diesel through... hence two or three attempts.

And if it is this, it is not as daunting as it sounds.

okenora
8th February 2014, 09:28
I would guess the reluctance to turn over is either the starter solenoid or a corroded earth strap, both common faults. Check the earth strap first as that's a free and easy fix, if not then it's new solenoid time I think. Immobiliser problems can also inhibit engine cranking.

Injector leakback, poor glow plugs, failed cam/crank sensors, failed fuel pumps and flooded ECU's are all causes of non-starting but none will prevent the engine from cranking

vincentfishing
8th February 2014, 13:21
well said okenora, its seems that nobody is reading his original complaint properly!!!

FrenchMike
8th February 2014, 13:33
well said okenora, its seems that nobody is reading his original complaint properly!!!

Effectively ,you're right ,but he didn't say what exactly appends when turning
the key ...no noise at all ?

SD1too
8th February 2014, 13:36
... but he didn't say what exactly appends when turning the key ...no noise at all ?
He did Mike; see my post no. 7. :D :D

Simon

FrenchMike
8th February 2014, 14:11
He did Mike; see my post no. 7. :D :D

Simon

All right ,so it's "classic":

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=mg+starter+repair&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Amac
8th February 2014, 18:26
Brilliant Mike. Thought it sounded like an "electrical contact" aka solenoid click. I have checked out the repair kits and will be investing in one very shortly. I will of course also check the rear fuel pump as advised however.
Rodded out the plenum today. Small swimming pool in there but hasn't yet reached level of ECU by the look of it. Will also be doing the mod to save removing the panels every couple of weeks. Pollen filter also looking decidedly rough as well!
Interestingly, following my description of the starting issue, no problems at all today! Very strange..........
Thanks for all of your valued input chaps. It is genuinely appreciated and beats searching through a Haynes manual hands down!

Andy

SD1too
8th February 2014, 22:10
Brilliant Mike. ... I have checked out the repair kits and will be investing in one very shortly.
You seem to have got the credit for solving that one Mike! :D People don't look further back than one post do they? :getmecoat:

Cheers,

Simon

Amac
9th February 2014, 16:32
I love you as well Simon!!!