PDA

View Full Version : Think my clutch is cooked !!

Northern Soul
7th February 2014, 19:24
Just noticed today that gear selection with the engine running is quite stiff,and the car edges forward as soon as I release the pedal.Also noticed the engine 'falters' slightly if im sat at a junction etc in gear with the pedal depressed.Im going with the clutch plate etc,but I presume it would be good practise to put a complete kit in?...mileage is approx. 120'000

okenora
7th February 2014, 19:40
more likely to be a clutch hydraulic problem. Check the gap between engine and gearbox for signs of a leak. Also check the master cylinder above the clutch pedal for leaks/weeping.

Either way it is a complete kit you should fit, clutch plate, clutch disc. slave cylinder. It is also good practice to fit a new master at the same time but not 100% needed if your master is not leaking.

Northern Soul
7th February 2014, 19:48
Funny you should say that as the pedal feels weird?....I appear to have no 'action' on the pedal..no pressure until its about half way down?

okenora
7th February 2014, 20:15
if the amount of free play in the pedal has changed it may be a sign the master is failing, again, check for leaks/weeping and if you can check the fluid level.

RPWC
7th February 2014, 20:18
Funny you should say that as the pedal feels weird?....I appear to have no 'action' on the pedal..no pressure until its about half way down?

I had the same, it's likely the slave on its way, suggest you contact Andy Willi, the forum clutch expert,he has a special offer on for Feb only, £100 off.