PDA

View Full Version : Thermostat problem?

0149geep
7th February 2014, 21:32
I note that thermostat problems are common and on my CDTI the needle on the temperature gauge never gets beyond the quarter position.

In view of the fact that the heater is always quite hot does that mean that this could be a faulty gauge rather than a faulty thermostat ??

75Connie
7th February 2014, 21:38
In view of the fact that the heater is always quite hot does that mean that this could be a faulty gauge rather than a faulty thermostat ??
Use the On Board Diagnostics to measure the temperature that the ECM is seeing. You're looking for diagnostic test 19.7. See this: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=55585&highlight=Board+Diagnostics

There is a massive amount of evidence that says the original thermostat fails in an open position in the CDTs. This is usually corrected by the insertion of a Renault 5 thermostat into the top hose as a secondary thermostat that wont open until coolant rises to 89 deg C.

wuzerk
7th February 2014, 21:59
I note that thermostat problems are common and on my CDTI the needle on the temperature gauge never gets beyond the quarter position.

The temperature gauge is a very rough indicator owing to the fact that it will show 'normal' i.e. at the nine oclock position from 75C to over 100C so your only way to check the actual temperature is as above.

SD1too
7th February 2014, 22:40
... the heater is always quite hot ...
It depends upon how you define "quite hot" in degrees celsius Graham! :D

Simon

TeeCee
8th February 2014, 09:21

If you reckon that's "quite hot" you'll be pleased to hear that when the thermostat's working it gets "very hot"......

DMGRS
8th February 2014, 14:26
'There's a kit for that!' :D

Fit one of these, and your problems should disappear:
Inline Thermostat Kit (http://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/thermostats-and-waterpumps/products/rover-75-mg-zt-cdti-inline-thermostat-89-degrees)

braceuself
13th February 2014, 13:19
just bought the thermostat as mentioned above to put in top hose.where in the hose does it go and which direction should it face?

Union Wheels
13th February 2014, 14:29
just bought the thermostat as mentioned above to put in top hose.where in the hose does it go and which direction should it face?

Hi, the Stat. fits inside the top hose as near to the cylinder head as possible, with wax bulb facing the engine.

It is a very tight fit in the hose so use silicone grease or washing up liquid as a lubricant.

You will need to cut through the stainless steel band at the engine end of the hose. I used a hacksaw blade, being careful not to cut into the hose.

Pete.

braceuself
13th February 2014, 17:15
cheers.so its just held in place in the hose itself?

T-Cut
13th February 2014, 18:59
Typically, the inline (in-hose) stat simply stays put due to the resilience of the rubber hose. Some people add Jubilees for a belt'n'braces fit, but it's not going anywhere for sure.

TC

DMGRS
13th February 2014, 23:26
It'll usually be OK held in the hose, however I supply 2x Jubilee clips with my kits as I'm very much a 'belt and braces' man. :D

Union Wheels
14th February 2014, 11:59
Hi braceuself,
the second jubilee clip goes part way down the hose where the thick part of the internal stat sits, ensuring that it cannot move either way.

Pete.