PDA

View Full Version : Oil Cooler Bypass?

Qubit
13th May 2014, 18:22
How necessary is the oil cooler on the 2.5 V6 engine? Im considering a ZT that seems to have had the oil cooler bypassed according to the owner, but dont know how much of a potential issue it would be?

klarzy
13th May 2014, 18:31
How necessary is the oil cooler on the 2.5 V6 engine? Im considering a ZT that seems to have had the oil cooler bypassed according to the owner, but dont know how much of a potential issue it would be?

If you view the engine as a heat storage unit then the oil being hotter will mean less heat energy taken out of the system, which means the water coolant system would have to work harder to compensate.

with both the water and oil hotter the pressure in those systems would increase and you would be more prone to overheating, hgf and water pump issues.

I am not well versed with that engine but in general that is what I would see occurring.

MF1980
13th May 2014, 19:00
Have a look and see what engines run without a cooler as standard..
i have bypassed the cooler down to issues with coolant flow.
The oil will only ever reach a peak temperature. The hotter the oil, the thinner it gets so recommend fresh 10w40. Having said that, I've not done an oil change yet..
The airflow over the alloy sump itself has a cooling effect, to a degree.
Yes, its there for a reason, But running without it for a short time shouldn't be an issue in my view.
I have considered changing it to an oil/air cooler..

Qubit
13th May 2014, 21:57
Many thanks for the replies. Looks like it might not really be worth it.

Ched
13th May 2014, 22:07
Has he bypassed it because it was leaking coolant into the oil?

SD1too
13th May 2014, 22:12
Im considering a ZT that seems to have had the oil cooler bypassed according to the owner ..
Keep looking for a better car Tim! :} The cooler will have been by-passed because the owner doesn't want to repair a fault. There may be other similar problems which you haven't discovered.

Simon

Oddjobber_the_1st
29th November 2023, 13:56
Hi, I see an air cooled oil cooler is mentioned, does anyone know if there is one that is compatible with my 190+. The PBC101350 cooler on it is shot mixing oil and water, or is there a service kit for it, if servicing is possible.
Regards, Alan

Geoff130
29th November 2023, 14:14
DMGRS sell a replacement if it's rectangular one.
https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/products/75-zt-kv6-engine-oil-cooler-kv6-pbc000031?_pos=2&_sid=2a7a1ab1d&_ss=r

stocktake
29th November 2023, 14:22
DMGRS sell a replacement if it's rectangular one.
https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/products/75-zt-kv6-engine-oil-cooler-kv6-pbc000031?_pos=2&_sid=2a7a1ab1d&_ss=r
Wrong type, the OP wants the early cast aluminium one.

trikey
29th November 2023, 16:59
Keep looking for a better car Tim! :} The cooler will have been by-passed because the owner doesn't want to repair a fault. There may be other similar problems which you haven't discovered.

SimonOr buy the car and fix the issue!!!

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

SD1too
29th November 2023, 19:15
The PBC101350 cooler on it is shot mixing oil and water, or is there a service kit for it, if servicing is possible.

... the OP wants the early cast aluminium one.
Hi Alan,

Someone dismantled the original longitudinal oil cooler and found, if my memory serves me well, that it can be repaired with replacement 'O' rings.

So yes, servicing is possible.

Simon

Oddjobber_the_1st
29th November 2023, 22:03
Thank you Simon, I might give it a go if I can get someone to take it off for me, wish me luck.
Regards, Alan

stocktake
30th November 2023, 08:04
Hi Alan,

Someone dismantled the original longitudinal oil cooler and found, if my memory serves me well, that it can be repaired with replacement 'O' rings.

So yes, servicing is possible.

Simon

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=2973495&postcount=6

Oddjobber_the_1st
30th November 2023, 11:45
Thank you for that, the pictures will definitely be extremely helpful, I will definitely give it a go.
Regards, Alan

SD1too
30th November 2023, 19:07
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=2973495&postcount=6

Thanks Dave! :D :D :D

Simon