PDA

View Full Version : zt-t towbars

ZZR400
30th March 2008, 16:11
hi.
can any body tell me wich is the best type of tow bar to fit my zt-z or dose any one have one for sale.
i have read on the forum that the best electrics to fit are the mg-rover ones, where is the best place to get these and dose the kit do both scokets (12n/12s) or will i need more than one kit.

many thanks.

stephen.

moonstoneboy
31st March 2008, 07:05
Stephen

I fitted the Towsure bar and then added the removable ball.

The Rover electrics kit is the best to use - purchasable from any Rover MG X Part dealer (see this website for dealers).

There are 2 kits available - 1 for 12N & 12S and one for the 13 pin. The kit is all you need - the sockets are prewired.

At the front there is a single connection. Depending on the VIN number you might need an additional link which costs about £5. The dealer will be able to tell you whether you need it or not.

Paul

Hampton Caught
31st March 2008, 12:17
Stephen,

My ZT-T has a Witter removable towbar fitted (in a hurry as I hadn't done my homework and needed to tow the caravan 3 days after buying the car) and would not particularly recommend it for two reasons;

1) The part that's permanently attached to the car sits quite low to the ground and there's not too much ground clearance anyway. Cue graunching noises as you ground out.

2) You can't lock the towbar in place (on mine, anyway) without the trailer fitted, so it needs to be removed by me before someone else does.

Other than that it does what it's meant to, but the 'Brink' tow bars (which were the official MGR accessory) are much neater.

I would endose the previous statement about the MGR electrics. They use the dashboard light to show the trailer indicators are working (a good thing) and cut out the reversing sensors when you're towing (a very good thing). Only wish mine had the MGR electrics, but as I said, I didn't do my homework! :(

Hope that helps, Steve

ZZR400
31st March 2008, 14:34
thanks for the advice now i have a better idea i will price the parts up before i get anymore agro from the rest of the family as they want to use the caravan.

cheers.
stephen