PDA

View Full Version : Swapping stereos/connectors etc

hogweed
26th May 2014, 19:28
Hope nobody minds me asking a not-strictly-Rover question here – but, in my defence m’Lud, it did start with me trying to swap the stereos between my Rover and her Pug 206.

Problem is that her existing stereo (Alpine IDA-X100) only works with older iPhones, eg my 3GS which I’m perfectly happy with (insofar as you can ever be completely happy with anything made by Apple); she now has an iPhone 5, and the stereo doesn't recognise it. So I decided to swap hers with my Pioneer DEH-7300BT, which works fine with her phone.

Unfortunately, though this may make all you audiophiles out there laugh, the wiring’s all different. I can hook the aerial, sub cables, and even the steering wheel jack into my stereo in her car – but not the main connectors (ISO?) – there are all sorts of wires snipped off, additional ones spliced in etc. Now if the little plug which connects this nightmare into the stereo body fitted into my Pioneer unit, I guess it would all work. It’s similar-ish, but not the same, so doesn’t fit.

Sooo… if I buy a newer Alpine head unit, eg a UTE-728T, can I reckon on just being able to plug the main connector into it, rather than trying to make sense of all the stuff deeper into the car? If not, I guess I’ll have to pay Halfraud’s to fit it, but that kind of sticks in my throat. And I can see them sucking air through their teeth and saying “Wooaaahhh, non-standard installation here mate – that’s going to seriously cost you”…

Thanks for any helpful advice :bowdown: