PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning alloys

m0sko
1st April 2008, 13:07
Hi all,

I have managed to get cheaply a set of original 16" Rover alloys. They have been used but are still ok. The only problem are white stains on them. It looks like that white cream the tyre fitters use. Maybe the owner forgot to clean the alloys after fitting new tyres?

So, here is my question: could you recommend any good solution to clean the alloys? I have tried traditional methods, but it won't remove that white thing!

Thanks for help,

Adam

Simon
1st April 2008, 13:10
I personally use some Meguire's (sp?) wheel cleaner. This particular one is very good at removing stubborn brake dust and road grime but the bottle does state its safe to use on the majority of chrome, steel, plastic, lacquered alloy and even anodised aluminium wheels. :)

Jules
1st April 2008, 13:34
Sounds like your alloys have been over exposed to the acid cleaners that are on the market. (used by forecourt prep people and valeters)

If this acid is left on for more than 60 seconds it literally destroys the clear lacquer and makes it go a streaky white or opaque colour.
Only solution by the sound of it is get them refurbed.:shrug:

deano78
1st April 2008, 14:35
could you post a pic of the wheels? and please dont tar us all with the same brush, lol. i use acid free wheel cleaner.

m0sko
1st April 2008, 14:52
Thanks for your comments.

I will post a picture tomorrow, when I am back at home!

adam

Jules
1st April 2008, 15:59
could you post a pic of the wheels? and please dont tar us all with the same brush, lol. i use acid free wheel cleaner.

Don't get me wrong! I recommend & use acid cleaner as it is a very very quick cleaner, just don't leave it on for more than 60 seconds and make sure it is diluted correctly (major brands are 100:1 dilute with water);)