PDA

View Full Version : Cowley sideskirts

John J
1st April 2008, 18:33
Whats the best product to use to give my black sideskirts a nice shine? I've tried turtle wax but that dries opaque and cloudy...
And also whats the best way to quick detail my red calipers of light brake dust?

Simon
1st April 2008, 18:58
Have you tried back-to-black type stuff? Plenty of brands out there. Restores bumper/plastic/vinyl type material to its original black shinyness. I used some AutoGlym Bumper/Vinyl restorer today on the black trim around the windows, mirrors, scuttle panels, engine cover, airbox, battery cover.... er... you get the idea :o Works a treat. :)

As for brake calipers: Use some alloy wheel cleaner. Be very careful not to over-do it. I spray the cleaner onto a stiff bristle brush then rub the calipers over whilst spraying water over them from the hose pipe - stops the stuff attacking the pads/disc. If you want to be really thorough then use a wire bristle brush and plain water or even white spirit and wire brush but again be careful not to spill any onto the pads/disc.

EDIT: Just noticed you say red painted calipers. Best avoid the white spirit and wire brush then because you'll start scratching the paint off otherwise! :panic: :)

John J
1st April 2008, 19:26
Haha thanks Si. I'll try and get hold of some of that Autoglym stuff. The calipers arn't too bad if i take a duster to them and squeeze between the wheel spokes.
I need to get some more Meg's Hot Wheels and Tyre Hot Shine anyway :)
I've painted my battery cover and spark plug cover because they looked a bit lifeless. I'll get a pic.

davywalker
2nd April 2008, 14:04
i use wd40 on all black trim on my car, spray a small amount on to a piece of kitchen roll and then wipe on, makes for as lovely finish, another wee tip i got once was after polishing the car take a bucket of cold water add a cap full of paraffin and pour over the car, then take if for a short drive, makes for a lovely shine,

deano78
2nd April 2008, 14:14
^^ would the parrafin not strip any protection layed down by the polish/wax?

Tatts
2nd April 2008, 17:58
^^ would the parrafin not strip any protection layed down by the polish/wax?

Would have thought so!

I've used parrafin for degreasing stuff, so it'd certainly remove any wax etc.

I'd also be a bit worried about anyone smoking near my car too! :D

John J
2nd April 2008, 18:58
Here's my painted plug cover and battery cover. Apologise for size of pics.
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w202/Schlumpfy/P4020003.jpg
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w202/Schlumpfy/P4020002.jpg

Tatts
2nd April 2008, 19:06
Looks a tidy job that!

Whats that thing attached to the battery case? I can't quite make it out!

Have you got an after-market air filter fitted too?

John J
2nd April 2008, 19:25
The silver block on the front? That's the ballast for the xenons.
It's an aftermarket air filter i've popped on for the time being. I'm trying to find out which ones best at the moment for when i replace my worn shannon tube.

Tatts
2nd April 2008, 19:27
Ah, right. Cheers John!

davywalker
3rd April 2008, 11:25
Would have thought so!

I've used parrafin for degreasing stuff, so it'd certainly remove any wax etc.

I'd also be a bit worried about anyone smoking near my car too! :D

no i doesnt strip the wax or polish off, if you ever go and buy demon shine that is mostly paraffin, you dont use a lot just a small capful in a bicket of water,the old guy from my local garage told me, that many years ago thats what they used to get that lovley shine you see on new cars

deano78
3rd April 2008, 11:36
hmmmm.i have a job this weekend, i'll do a test section, full machine polish,seal and wax and give this parafin a go. you have me intrigued. sceptical, yet intrigued.

Bartonrover
3rd April 2008, 12:41
Whats the best product to use to give my black sideskirts a nice shine? I've tried turtle wax but that dries opaque and cloudy...

John - not wanting to thwart your aims but the original (ie when new) finish was not gloss but had a soft sheen - ie not matt either. I think it was deliberate so that it "receded" and did not compete with the gloss main colour finish itself and so emphasised the sleek lines of the car. Whilst a matt finish would have done that better, it would be harder to keep clean - hence the smooth opaque finish. See my images:

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/vbimghost.php?do=viewimages&id=873
Robert

Simon
3rd April 2008, 13:06
John - not wanting to thwart your aims but the original (ie when new) finish was not gloss but had a soft sheen - ie not matt either. I think it was deliberate so that it "receded" and did not compete with the gloss main colour finish itself and so emphasised the sleek lines of the car. Whilst a matt finish would have done that better, it would be harder to keep clean - hence the smooth opaque finish. See my images:

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/vbimghost.php?do=viewimages&id=873
Robert

Robert - The link you put in when clicked took the user to their own images. The new link takes you to your images no matter who clicks on it ;)

John J
3rd April 2008, 19:15
Ooh thanks Barton. Nice car. Ace colour! :)