PDA

View Full Version : Battery connection posts

DerekS
4th June 2014, 11:15
A query about the posts on the actual battery, not on the website !!

I have just had to disconnect the battery for the first time , came across a type of battery connection that i have not seen before......

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/149538efb8f672c5.jpg

The nut and bolt doesnt seem to tighten the actual clamp, it only holds the clamp arms in a fixed position. So how to tighten the clamp on the battery post ?
Or just set it and tap it down ???
Sorry, im not used to these newfangled thingys ...:duh::eek::

stevestrat
4th June 2014, 11:18
Just tap it down then tighten the nut.

HarryM1BYT
4th June 2014, 11:29
Its a sort of wedge arrangement, which works rather well. Slacken the nut, tap the clamp gently down onto the post and tighten the nut.

DerekS
4th June 2014, 11:29
THanks for such a quick reply . Problem is that im used to the nut actually tightening the clamp to the post, but in this case it doesnt. Merely prevents the clamp expanding .

Progress I suppose . .:o

DMGRS
4th June 2014, 18:47
They do clamp down rather than just get held in place - when the bolt is loose the clamp is large enough to slip over, and tightening the bolt actually closes the clamp around the battery post.

Polly
4th June 2014, 18:52
I was curious about those clamps too on my ZS. If you unscrew the nut completely you will notice that it works on a tapered (cone shaped) face underneath, so that when you tighten the nut the taper forces the clamp to close up. As Harry says, it works quite well, and I think has the advantage that it is virtually impossible to over tighten the clamp.
Les

DerekS
4th June 2014, 21:22
Thanks for all replies . :}