PDA

View Full Version : Valeting a dancefloor!?

efreeti
6th April 2008, 08:24
Not Rover 75 related but certainly to do with cleaning, so I guess this is the best place....

We have recently taken a white dancefloor system into stock. It is an aluminium base with a sort of white vinyl plate sitting inside it. It is designed to have people jumping up and down on it so is obviously very robust but we are struggling to get it clean again after each gig at the moment. The panels are 2' x 4' so we put them on the workbench and at the moment the best thing we have found is a light abrasive (Jiff) and the scratchy side of a washing up sponge. We have about 60 of these panels though so cleaning is a very very slow task at the moment and the lads are getting sick of it.

We can't really use anything more abrasive than that already described as we don't want it to scratch the surface to much as that will just make it harder to clean as dirt finds its way into the grooves. General much isnt a problem, hot water and jiff moves it ok but we are having trouble getting it back to a really nice clean white.

The main problem if heavy rubber soled shoes which cause those marks like you see on sports hall floors, they just take ages to shift manually.

So does anybody have any ideas of products and or tools that could help us out? Some magic liquid around the Jiff level of abrasion or maybe a particular drill mounted scourer or something? We have tried one of those school hall floor buffers but they are too big and heavy and just seem to move the dirt around rather than clean it. I have one of those hand held Halfords car polisher things as well but it didnt do much good to the 75 so can't see it helping much with this!

Link to the dancefloor can be seen here http://starlitfloors.co.uk/dancefloor.htm to get an idea of what it looks like.

Help appreciated as always. Mods please feel free to move this to a more relevant forum if you think there is one:)

empsburna
7th April 2008, 13:55
All purpose cleaner and a stiff brush should shift most of it!

andy
7th April 2008, 19:43
I polish composite (minerelle/corian) worktops with grey abrasive pads (like scotch brite ) on a random orbit sander, shifts marks a treat
Used pads the other day to remove shoe marks from a very pale limestone floor
Not sure of the actual grade but if you email me your address I will put a bit in the post so you can see if its any good
Andy

efreeti
8th April 2008, 09:53
All purpose cleaner and a stiff brush should shift most of it!

Well it does but only to a point, I need a solution that involves less elbow grease as we have to clean up to 60 panels at least once a week. Just too slow (and costly in terms of manpower) to keep doing it manually.

Andy, thanks for that, PM on the way.