PDA

View Full Version : Rear Wheel Balancing.....???

Lynyrd Skynner
3rd July 2014, 12:07
Is it necessary to have the rear wheels balanced on a ZT ? I have a slight whining noise at above 55 mph , wondered if its the lack of balancing or maybe a bearing is on its way out, what do you guys think.....

Dorset Bob
3rd July 2014, 13:08
All wheels should be balanced, if not they can cause vibration.
The effect of rear wheel imbalance is not as noticeable as front, hence it is often not done. :shrug:
Worth getting them balanced IMHO. ;)

FLYING BANANA
3rd July 2014, 13:38
I always have mine balanced all round

HarryM1BYT
3rd July 2014, 14:04
Imbalance is usually felt as a slight judder from around +50mph. A whine is more likely to be a bearing which is worn, or showing signs of wear or noisy tyres.

Polly
3rd July 2014, 18:49
Check the rear tires very carefully, I have the same problem with my very low mileage ZS. Last year, the MOT tester pointed out that the tires were wearing with a feathered pattern around the circumference of the tire, this year the wear had developed into several distinct flat spots, like a 50p piece.
Swapping the tires instantly transformed the car, however I still dont know what caused them to wear like that in the first place. Perhaps because it has sat for long periods not being used.
Les

Lynyrd Skynner
3rd July 2014, 19:42
Thanks Guys , Iam getting them balanced tomorrow afternoon then see if it changes things.....

Mike Noc
3rd July 2014, 21:05
Check the rear tires very carefully, I have the same problem with my very low mileage ZS. Last year, the MOT tester pointed out that the tires were wearing with a feathered pattern around the circumference of the tire, this year the wear had developed into several distinct flat spots, like a 50p piece.
Swapping the tires instantly transformed the car, however I still dont know what caused them to wear like that in the first place. Perhaps because it has sat for long periods not being used.
Les

Check the wheel rims for any damage. Had the same on a rear wheel that had a big dent in the inside rim. :getmecoat:

shiner
3rd July 2014, 23:22
undulating inner edge tread . Variance in tread depth every few cm`s around the inner 1/4 of the rear tyres.;)