PDA

View Full Version : power loss

peckster123
3rd July 2014, 23:49
hi lads as this happened to any one on here on my way back from north wales yesterday went to overtake car in front just has I nearly got passed him my power just went dead nothing lucky for me driver slowed the traffic behind him allowing me to pull over no warning lights nothing just no power what so ever got hood up could see nothing untoward pressed throttle and car didn't want to know was getting ready to call rac. turned ign off then turned on and how's your father all sweet rest of journey home a ok and been running around today on motor way no prop got me baffled scared the hell out of my missus and me a bit to be honest. The driver in the other car was real gent stopped to make sure me and my better half were ok. anything I should be really worried about :shrug:

DMGRS
3rd July 2014, 23:58
Have a listen to the fuel pump under the bonnet - is it particularly loud or sounding like there is air being pulled through it?
Also, what was the fuel level at the time?

peckster123
4th July 2014, 00:15
fuel was at half tank il check fuel pump in morning let you know outcome anything else that I could check same time ,cheers mate
one thing more I did fill up with premium diesel thought give it a treat would that have had an effect on anything

Dragrad
4th July 2014, 00:40
Thread moved to appropriate forum. Re-direct left in old.

This thread now seems to be best here :}

Arctic
4th July 2014, 07:37
Hi David.
As you were overtaking I would be inclined to check the O-rings, and intercooler hoses for a little split when on boost can open up, if all ok check the MAF by unplugging it and see if the car runs any better, maybe try and find a road similar to the one you used to overtake and then try to simulate what happened, once these have been checked come back to the thread and report good luck Arctic.

Mike Noc
4th July 2014, 09:03
Did the engine die or was it still idling? Cutting out on full power can be down to a leaking injector or two. The ECM shuts the engine down to protect the HP pump. In which case it's worth doing a leakback test.

If the engine was still running but you had no response at all from the loud pedal then maybe the problem is with the pedal electrics or the plug/cable going to it. This can be accompanied by the revs rising to a high idle.

If the engine would only rev to around 2.5k revs then could be a fault on the fuel low pressure fuel side.

chrishumphries
4th July 2014, 12:22
The syptoms suggest a failing injector. The ECU detects a drop in fuel pressure and shuts down the ignition to protect the HP pump. Mine did it coming up the slip to join the M25, a real brown trouser moment ! My no2 injector seal had broken up . Do a leak back test to confirm. If it is a dodgy injector try Lynx Diesels, they offer a second to none service at a very reasonable price.

peckster123
4th July 2014, 13:24
thanks to you all checked pumps both working maf seems ok no flat spots il try to get injectors checked thanks all keep you all posted fingers crossed