PDA

View Full Version : Dodgy brake lights

Stickman
4th July 2014, 18:10
Next on my long list of items to attend to with my connie tourer is the brake lights which seem to have a mind of their own at times :duh:
For no obvious reason they stay on intermittently
I'm led to believe it can only be the brake light switch under the pedal which can be at fault. It seems to be happening when I first start the car from parked or park at the end of my journey. I get out of the car and notice the brake lights are on. So I then assume if you were to put yr foot under the pedal and lift it up the lights will go off but they don't :duh:
I'm also actually unaware as to wether they're working correctly when on the move ?
Regards
Chris
Update - I've now replaced the brake light switch so let's see if the brake lights behave now !
Regards
Chris

midlife75user
14th September 2014, 20:36
I have same problem how hard was the switch to replace and how much. Thanks in advance

Stickman
15th September 2014, 06:41
I have same problem how hard was the switch to replace and how much. Thanks in advance
You'll enjoy this job tony :D
The switch cost me nowt as I was at the scrappies shopping for other bits anyways and it fell in my pocket honest guv :shrug:
I guess you could get one cheap enough from one of the dealers on here - it's only a small lump of plastic after all !
In order to fit it tho u need to be a contortionist :eek:
I laid the backrest of the seat down as low as it would go and you will need to lay on yr back with yr head up under the dash (towards the pedals)
Have yrself a good look at the switch which pushes thru from the back into the recess it's located in behind the brake pedal + the wiring plug attaches at the back too.
Next comes the tricky bit - now u have a rough idea where it goes and which
Up etc push it thru the holder from the front (you can unplug the wiring afterwards)
When yr ready to refit the new/replacement you can't get into a position to see where yr at so have to do the process totally by feel - unless you are fortunate enough to have extra joints in yr arms :D
It doesn't take hours however and after I done mine the brake lights have worked perfectly ever since :D
Regards
Chris

midlife75user
15th September 2014, 20:01
Thanks for that, being a fat knacker it may be a struggle

Stickman
16th September 2014, 02:40
Thanks for that, being a fat knacker it may be a struggle
Get the mrs to do it then m8 :-)