PDA

View Full Version : MPG - BP vs Shell

fj1200
5th July 2014, 14:02
OK - you may recall a few months ago I had issues with the car cutting out. Well, 4 or 5 weeks ago, on the way back from picking my youngest up from a skule trip to at 9pm it died 1 mile from home. Dead, Dave. The AA man said he thought it was the crank sensor, and that's what we looked for - as some had suggested.

Nope. Injectors. Ker - CHINNNNGGGGG!!!!

New crank sensor and 4 new injectors and a much lighter bank balance later, here we are.

So - first drive to work down the hallowed A1, normally I'd be getting 48mpg. Give or take. But no! That morning, I leave home and she's reading 49mpg. Then 50. Then 55. 57. Eventually 60!! By the time I get to work - 64.8mpg! Wooohooo!

By the time I get home - still 61.4mpg.

So maybe it's the ECU sorting itself out. Fill up a day later at Shell on the A14. drops to 48.8/49.8, and so it has been for the last 3 fills there. However, I filled up at BP in Yaxley on the way to work Monday and suddenly I'm getting 55.8mpg. And thus it has remained. currently at 55.4.

I'm interested to know if anyone else has noticed a difference between Shell and BP fuel. I seem to get more power with BP as well.

I'm using the uber-diesel on these fills but going to try the next fill with the bog standard stuff.

HarryM1BYT
5th July 2014, 15:07
Admittedly with Synergy fitted, my mpg suddenly went to silly heights too just after forgetting to put 2T in the diesel. I've not seen such since then and almost always buy Tesco's finest. Now its more less back to normal figures.

snorbitz
5th July 2014, 15:22
I have heard of this from different places. A friend of mine swears that when he uses branded fuel against supermarket fuel the MPG is improved a lot. For others they show no difference..... I tend to put a bit of 2 stroke in with a tank full and this seems to help. I may try a bit of branded fuel one day to see if it works. I know you can get different variants of petrol, but is there different variants of diesel?