PDA

View Full Version : engine noise

googly81
5th July 2014, 20:17
Hi every one I'm new to this. I have an mg zt 2l cdti recently there is a whining noise coming from the engine bay near the battery, the noise is only there when driving when stationary no noise it also at time struggles to start at times. Can any one help please.

Thanks.

suzublu
5th July 2014, 20:20
Another monkey hanger :eek::getmecoat: Welcome mate, can't help with your question as i know nowt about tractors :o but someone will be along soon ;)

googly81
5th July 2014, 20:28
Thanks mate. The noise is frustrating noticed it's getting a bit louder.

suzublu
5th July 2014, 20:33
Poor starting may be the camshaft position sensor, if you use the search facility on the top bar of the page, & type in your problems, you might find an answer while you're waiting for a proper expert;):D

googly81
5th July 2014, 20:37
I will give it a go thanks matey.

RPWC
5th July 2014, 21:28
If it's only audible when driving, then it's related to wheel rotation, sounds like bearing, jack car up and feel for side to side play on the wheel, also spin the wheel by hand and listen for noise.

googly81
6th July 2014, 15:45
Hi thanks for the advice, the bearing seems ok. The happens when engine is on if I'm stationary there is no noise but when I put foot on accelerator the noise comes back and also when driving if I take foot off the accelerator the noise stops. Could this be a fuel pump problem?..

Thanks.

Moonshine Mark
6th July 2014, 16:18
Hi thanks for the advice, the bearing seems ok. The happens when engine is on if I'm stationary there is no noise but when I put foot on accelerator the noise comes back and also when driving if I take foot off the accelerator the noise stops. Could this be a fuel pump problem?..

Thanks.

Depending on the year of the car the underbonnet fuel pump will be right next to the battery tray, it's a silver cylinder although you can only see the top from above.

If the intank pump has failed it is possible that it is having to work harder therefore making more noise.

When you say it struggles to start, is this when you have less than quarter of a tank of fuel? That's normally a sign of intank pump failure.

googly81
6th July 2014, 17:16
Hi it can struggle at any time of day to start it's weird some times it fires straight away and others it really struggles it's when it has been stood for a while. The noise only happens when you put the foot on the accelerator even when stationary. I tend to find turning the key and waiting a few seconds before starting the engine this sometimes helps.

Thanks.

googly81
6th July 2014, 19:17
Hi, When my foot is on the accelerator the squeaky noise occurs its gets louder as you drive, the noise stops when I take my foot of the accelerator, the car still drives well it is a MG ZT with 40000 2l diesel.

I'm wondering if it is the fuel pump and weather to replace it or not. I can hear the intank pump ok.

Any advise welcome before I purchase a fuel pump.

Many thanks.

googly81
7th July 2014, 12:48
Hi all, does any one know where I can get the metal seat belt buckle from for the back middle seat.

Thanks.

Mike Noc
7th July 2014, 19:06
Hi, When my foot is on the accelerator the squeaky noise occurs its gets louder as you drive, the noise stops when I take my foot of the accelerator, the car still drives well it is a MG ZT with 40000 2l diesel.

I'm wondering if it is the fuel pump and weather to replace it or not. I can hear the intank pump ok.

Any advise welcome before I purchase a fuel pump.

Many thanks.

The underbonnet LP pump is pretty much independent of the engine. It just pumps fuel around the LP fuel circuit and the HP pump takes what it wants for the fuel rail. So it pumps at the same rate whether the car is flat out or idling.

Post a soundclip up on Youtube and we can all have a listen, or at least get a second opinion on the noise before buying a new pump.

googly81
8th July 2014, 05:26
Hi thanks for the reply, I will get that done as soon as I can thanks for the advice.

googly81
8th July 2014, 20:59
Hi all I think I have found the location of the noise its coming from the gear box. When I am driving in gear its makes the whining noise and when I take out of gear and coast it stops.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

suzublu
8th July 2014, 21:09
Would you like me to pop round Stuart to have a listen:shrug: Can't say i can do anything, but 2 heads etc;)

googly81
8th July 2014, 21:58
Hi mate that would be great I know it's to late now but I'm at work tomorrow I could meet you some where on my lunch break if that's ok.

Thanks.

Mike Noc
8th July 2014, 22:05
Hi all I think I have found the location of the noise its coming from the gear box. When I am driving in gear its makes the whining noise and when I take out of gear and coast it stops.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

First thing to check is the gearbox oil level. It takes MTF94, around 1.6 litres.

These Getrag boxes are usually very reliable, so they aren't in demand and you can pick up a used one cheap enough if it is the box and it is terminal.

For example: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-75-MG-ZT-2-0-CDT-MANUAL-GEARBOX-DIESEL-99-04-/191223112378?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3ARover%7CModel%3A75&hash=item2c85c922ba

Worth changing the slave cylinder and clutch if you go down that route.

googly81
8th July 2014, 22:16
Thanks for that I will get the oil checked out tomorrow.