PDA

View Full Version : Newly acquired ZT-T190 issues

ZedTea
5th July 2014, 21:05
Good evening denizens of ZT land...a few questions to ask I'm afraid, so, I've paid £2300 for a 2005 60,000 mile ZT-T. Overall, I'm quite happy with it, after all, despite my reservations, it did the 430 mile trip from Aberdeen without too many issues!

Problem 1: Occasional stalling when warm and changing gear.
Problem 2: wipers activate when ignition is switched off, rear wiper also activates when engine switched on.

Any tips, hints or suggestions welcomed!

Oil and water appear fine, there appears to be no emulsification but I've yet to check the thermostat housing.

Needless to say, I'm still happy with the car, I need to work my magic cosmetically, but the oily bits? I'm a somewhat not very gifted amateur with basic tools but no facilities for taking things apart (due to restrictions imposed by English Heritage and Cheshire East Council). With both my Land Rover and Range Rover (RIP), I had RAVE, is there something similar for the ZT? :getmecoat:

batz
8th July 2014, 18:35
I found I had to change my driving style when I changed from a 160 turbo to a 190. Not too sure about my VIS motors but it could be worse!

stocktake
8th July 2014, 18:41
Does it have an aftermarket radio fitted? If so one of the side effects of wiring the switched live and perm live the wrong way around is .........................Wipers operate when ign switched off. ;)

ProfDave
8th July 2014, 19:27
Have you checked the plenum for water ingress? There is a thread at the top if you have not worth checking; even though mine has the spyhole mod and a careful owner the cabin filter was soaking and the water was close to the ECU.

I have noticed its quite easy to stall compared to other cars I have (mine is a 190) and I guess some of this is down to the lightness of the flywheel and such. On mine the revs dip down low after you blip the throttle which I have not got to the bottom of yet but plan a T4 to see if the Vis motors are performing. Its this dip that I think gets me a stall while manoeuvring. :duh:

ZedTea
8th July 2014, 19:39
Have you checked the plenum for water ingress? There is a thread at the top if you have not worth checking; even though mine has the spyhole mod and a careful owner the cabin filter was soaking and the water was close to the ECU.

I have noticed its quite easy to stall compared to other cars I have (mine is a 190) and I guess some of this is down to the lightness of the flywheel and such. On mine the revs dip down low after you blip the throttle which I have not got to the bottom of yet but plan a T4 to see if the Vis motors are performing. Its this dip that I think gets me a stall while manoeuvring. :duh:

By some strange quirk of fate, I was just reading through that thread and will be doing it tomorrow. The garage I brought the car from have said it was an enthusiast's car before I brought it, but I can't quite see it. The stalling issue, may very well be as above, it is so random as to when it happens!!!! I think once the bank account recuperates from the purchase, I'll be taking it to my local garage for a full service, fluids, belts, filters, plugs, leads and belts. The wipers are now officially doing my suede in!:shrug:

ZedTea
8th July 2014, 19:41
Does it have an aftermarket radio fitted? If so one of the side effects of wiring the switched live and perm live the wrong way around is .........................Wipers operate when ign switched off. ;)

Ahh...it has one of them naval II's fitted, which in itself is causing me a headache!

Kenton
9th July 2014, 00:08

Defo check the live and memory live supplies are the right way round. Gad the same issue, resolved by swapping the red live and orange memory live. :smilie_re::bowdown::bowdown:

DMGRS
9th July 2014, 11:54
Stunning car, in the best colour. :D
My friend has a ZT (although a saloon) in the same colour, and it's gorgeous.

If you're thinking of belts, you'd do well to pick up a set I'm selling as part of a 'group buy' for £129.99 including postage - that's for the full kit that's usually £159.99 from myself, or more from other outlets. I've got 2 sets left out of a run of 25.
KV6 Cambelt Kit - Group Buy (http://www.dmgrs.co.uk/products/group-buy-kv6-oem-cambelt-timing-belt-kit-rover-75-zs180-zt160-zt190-825-inc-all-belts-tensioners-water-pump-and-camshaft-seals)

Good luck with the car. :)