PDA

View Full Version : Heavy/ high clutch, advice please

Mangizmo
6th July 2014, 11:53
My 120k diesel 75 has a clutch that will soon need attention (a little life left yet I think) it is the original clutch and the car has 120,000 mls on the clock so fair doos
What is the best way forward, costs involved, recommended parts, I intend to keep the car as it is otherwise in excellent condition and just passed its MOT
V

HarryM1BYT
6th July 2014, 13:06
My 120k diesel 75 has a clutch that will soon need attention (a little life left yet I think) it is the original clutch and the car has 120,000 mls on the clock so fair doos
What is the best way forward, costs involved, recommended parts, I intend to keep the car as it is otherwise in excellent condition and just passed its MOT
V

As you know you have had your moneys worth out of the clutch, I would talk to Andy Willi and ask him to swap slave, pressure plate and clutch plate, plus installing his new all metal master cylinder. I would also have him see if the DMF might be worth replacing at the same time.

Mangizmo
6th July 2014, 14:46
As you know you have had your moneys worth out of the clutch, I would talk to Andy Willi and ask him to swap slave, pressure plate and clutch plate, plus installing his new all metal master cylinder. I would also have him see if the DMF might be worth replacing at the same time.

Will do thanks, am resigned to a rather hefty bill, but the car has years of life in it yet so I will pay it, will PM him when the time comes, wonder how many otherwise good 75s end up in the crusher when cluch time comes ?

HarryM1BYT
6th July 2014, 15:56
Will do thanks, am resigned to a rather hefty bill, but the car has years of life in it yet so I will pay it, will PM him when the time comes, wonder how many otherwise good 75s end up in the crusher when cluch time comes ?

If you have time to wait, it might be worth waiting for the metal slave cylinder to eventually appear.

It also might be worth your while fitting Andy's new master cylinder sooner rather than later, you may find like me, that it improves the clutch pedals action. Its a separate from the clutch swap job and not too involved a DIY job.

My view on spending on cars, is that some things are worth putting up with, others are best laid out for ASAP so as to get maximum use and value out of them.

Moonshine Mark
6th July 2014, 16:12
The clutch in my CDTi was heavy when I bought it at 90k but it didn't give up until around 155k.

Do a search for bleeding the clutch it can make it last a little longer ;)

DMGRS
6th July 2014, 20:19
I'd drop Andy a message and get the lot changed - it's a wonderful feeling!