PDA

View Full Version : zt v6 suspect head gasket

karlmk24
6th July 2014, 20:44
im 99% shore iv got head gasket problem just need some one to conform this missfire on start up then clears steam from exhaust when start up from cold then clears when warm losing coolant about 1 liter a week the thing that is confusing me its fine when its been running for 5 mins :shrug:

stocktake
6th July 2014, 20:49
Sounds like an Inlet manifold gasket is also a suspect here,
do a search ;)

trikey
6th July 2014, 20:50
Have you checked the water pump area forleaks, this is much more common than head gasket failure on the KV6.

Typhoon190
Hi there.

The V6 can suffer HGF, but not as commonly as the 1.8.

First things to check and change are the inlet manifold gaskets.

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-LKJ100992

I may well be able to help should you need, not too far from you. :} Done a fair few of these now.

Also check thermostat in the V, and cam breather system clear.

karlmk24
that's what i was thinking but it is on the middle cylinder front bank

karlmk24
6th July 2014, 20:53
i was hoping it was only going to be inlet gaskets but being middle cylinder that's whats got me pointing to hg but it fine when its warm that's really got me scratching my head

Typhoon190
6th July 2014, 20:54
Have you checked plugs and swapped coils to check misfire? Have you got an OBD reader?

karlmk24
6th July 2014, 20:55
if you start up from cold remove front bank middle cylinder plug is wet swopped over coil pack and plug still the same

karlmk24
6th July 2014, 20:58
havent got a obd reader so carnt check that one i no the thermostat as just started to leak as well

Moonshine Mark
6th July 2014, 21:01
havent got a obd reader so carnt check that one i no the thermostat as just started to leak as well

Change the Inlet Manifold Gaskets and your leaky Thermostat and you should find your coolant loss stops without touching the Head Gasket ;)

karlmk24
6th July 2014, 21:04
only bit that is concerning me is the miss fire and wetting the plug on middle cylinder couldn't see how water could get in there being in the middle

DMGRS
6th July 2014, 21:33
Hi there.

The V6 can suffer HGF, but not as commonly as the 1.8.

First things to check and change are the inlet manifold gaskets.

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-LKJ100992

I may well be able to help should you need, not too far from you. :} Done a fair few of these now.

Also check thermostat in the V, and cam breather system clear.

You can get 2 gaskets from myself inc P+P for less than the price of one from Rimmers without P+P:
Inlet Manifold Gaskets - KV6 (http://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/head-gasket-kits/products/kv6-inlet-manifold-gasket-lkj100992-45-75-zs-zt)

Of course if you only need one, I do them individually too. It'd be a good and cheap place to start.

trikey
6th July 2014, 21:37
Might be worth having a look at your wiring to the coil pack in case something is amiss.

Last14
6th July 2014, 21:52
Have you checked plugs and swapped coils to check misfire? Have you got an OBD reader?

Do we know what codes would show up if it were the coil packs? I just got myself an OBD2 reader and Android tablet to connect an read it. So will try it out later this week to see if it shows up what my similar misfire is all about.... :shrug:

karlmk24
8th July 2014, 21:35
update
head gasket 100% gone fun nights ahead

Kenton
8th July 2014, 23:46

I am changing one thermostat a week at the moment, never changed a hg yet, change the thermostat and the bent tube behind it, you have to remove this anyway. there is a thread here in 'how to's'which show how to do it from th side of the V after removing the throttle body and air pipe, i managed to change it without the throttle body removal, and had it replaced in an hour. all my problems are now gone on all the motors with water loss, I have even had the AA diagnose a hg and it was the thermostat, he didn't apologies when i proved him wrong

whist this has no clips you can use the old ones!! IMO start with this and then look at the other issues. that is my experience
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171141525385?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

hope that helps?? :smilie_re::shrug::shrug:

SD1too
9th July 2014, 07:35
update
head gasket 100% gone fun nights ahead
Who told you that, and what's their reasoning? A garage, I bet. :rolleyes: MoonshineMark is correct. It will be a breached inlet manifold gasket on the left-hand (front) bank. I don't see why a middle cylinder should not be affected. You'll need the gaskets anyway when you're replacing the thermostat, so do that as Mark says.

Please don't ruin another perfectly good V6 with all this nonsense about head gaskets. :mad:

Simon

chrissyboy
9th July 2014, 08:08
Who told you that, and what's their reasoning? A garage, I bet. :rolleyes: MoonshineMark is correct. It will be a breached inlet manifold gasket on the left-hand (front) bank. I don't see why a middle cylinder should not be affected. You'll need the gaskets anyway when you're replacing the thermostat, so do that as Mark says.

Please don't ruin another perfectly good V6 with all this nonsense about head gaskets. :mad:

Simon

no way you aint said anything that would confirm hgf ,you even said its runs ok after a while which would suggests inlet manifold gasket

karlmk24
9th July 2014, 20:27
it was running ok bit steamy on start up but tuesday morning wouldn't turn over middle cylinder full of water

scoubix
9th July 2014, 21:03
Amazing how some people ask for confirmation that it's HGF yet when several tell them it's most probably manifold gasket and stat, they keep on believing it's HGF...

Kenton
9th July 2014, 21:09
it was running ok bit steamy on start up but tuesday morning wouldn't turn over middle cylinder full of water

There are a few answers regarding the water in the cylinder, and i have no experience of this, they may have the knowledge on that part of the problem. i often get water vapor and have a little moment in my panties thinking its all blown up, even had rust on the rear bumper a few days ago on a V6 that i have now sold as perfect. still changed the thermostat and all was good. i also experience a bit of mayo and 'strange' steam on occasion, and always get worried, but i do thrash the cars, and think because most of them are 10 years old they are knackered, but in the end they have never failed and all the odd querks i have experienced never result in a big issue. how many miles has the car done? :smilie_re::cool::p:

Dorset Bob
9th July 2014, 21:12
Amazing how some people ask for confirmation that it's HGF yet when several tell them it's most probably manifold gasket and stat, they keep on believing it's HGF...

It helps to reinforce the myth, that in the "trade" that anything with a Rover badge on, suffers from HGF.
Irrespective of the engine. :shrug:

Kenton
9th July 2014, 21:12

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh at last :bowdown::bowdown:

SD1too
9th July 2014, 21:17
... middle cylinder full of water
How do you know that?
Karl; don't turn the starter any more. If a cylinder is filling with water you will wreck the engine once and for all if you keep trying to start it.
Replace the thermostat and inlet manifold gaskets.

Simon

Kenton
9th July 2014, 21:21
It helps to reinforce the myth, that in the "trade" that anything with a Rover badge on, suffers from HGF.
Irrespective of the engine. :shrug:

I have just bought another ZT with a £100 diagnosis for the owner that it is not the head gasket, but they don't know what the problem is. £38 thermostat and 1 hours work will see me drive it home for £225!!! 55K on the clock!! T4 diagnosis after thermostat and away we go IMO :shrug::shrug::eek:

karlmk24
9th July 2014, 21:40
only tryed it one removed plug removed water removed inlet manifold tonight and no signs of any problem with inlet manifold gasket but have found oil cooler bypassed so dont no if its had any over heating probs before i had car just a thort if owner before me boiled it up