PDA

View Full Version : Clutch failure

Athorpe
7th July 2014, 19:45
Today hasn't been brilliant,

Clutch failed on the way into work, pedal to the floor so suspecting slave cylinder

Question is, what to do with it now.
Clutch kit form DMGRS is 150, not bad
Master cylinder for a genuine one is another 150
Anything else I'm likely to need in there other than the plates and cylinders (2ltr V6) - I've read about metal master cylinders, where can I get one of them?

Can't see any point in to doing the full system at 120k miles, but whether to do it myself, or use my local garage to do it, I guess a couple of hundred to fix

okenora
7th July 2014, 20:18
buy the TAZU master, it's about £70 and should outlive the genuine one, even if it doesn't it is a serviceable item with replaceable seals.

For fairness "other brands of metal master cylinder are available" but I have the TAZU and would recommend.

DMGRS fits from somewhere about £330 including parts and Andy Willi is not much more expensive and highly recommended. Both should be cheaper and do better work than some random garage.

edit- just noticed that Andy is only up the road from you in Doncaster

HarryM1BYT
7th July 2014, 20:23
buy the TAZU master, it's about £70 and should outlive the genuine one, even if it doesn't it is a serviceable item with replaceable seals.

For fairness "other brands of metal master cylinder are available" but I have the TAZU and would recommend.

I think the 'other brand' you refer to might also be a TAZU, the new TAZU design from Andy. I would definitely recommend the new one over the original plastic unit on both cost and quality.

mickjjuk
7th July 2014, 20:38
If its master cylinder it’s not a big job. If you look under your gearbox bell housing there or drain hole. If the slave cylinder has gone there will be clutch fluid dripping out.

Athorpe
7th July 2014, 20:53
So how do the meal MC's pipe in, from what I can see they come with some copper pipe. The original looks flexible, doesn't this cause a problem as the engine/box move ?

I was thinking of taking the under tray of to check, but its now at a workshop I have use of, 30 miles form me - so thinking given the age/mileage it's probably due a clutch anyway

No clutch fluid inside, so my thinking is the master isn't the problem

mickjjuk
7th July 2014, 21:00
The new master cylinder of Andy. uses the original pipe work

trikey
7th July 2014, 21:01
Pm Andy willi, he has billet master cylinders in stock for £90

Athorpe
19th July 2014, 12:19
Cars back, clutch fixed
Garage put the wrong oil in the gearbox, then tried I tell me what was on the invoice was wrong, and actually it did have MTf 94 in it ... Erm yes, ok.
Clearly working it I wasn't believing that the owner then tried, EP90 and MTF 94 are the same thing :duh:

Shame really, the mechanics and the other part owner are all decent guys who know their stuff, so probably only a genuine mistake, this chap though (who was the only one there today) :eek: fits the typical garage trying to pull the wool over owners eyes stereotype

Oil now changed back to MTF 94, and while doing that found the control arm ball joint shot, so that will be the vibration I've been unable to find (surprised the MOT man missed it though)

And finally, the bonnet cable has just snapped so now got to fight hat open :devil: - when it stops raining

klarzy
19th July 2014, 12:25
Cars back, clutch fixed
Garage put the wrong oil in the gearbox, then tried I tell me what was on the invoice was wrong, and actually it did have MTf 94 in it ... Erm yes, ok.
Clearly working it I wasn't believing that the owner then tried, EP90 and MTF 94 are the same thing :duh:

Shame really, the mechanics and the other part owner are all decent guys who know their stuff, so probably only a genuine mistake, this chap though (who was the only one there today) :eek: fits the typical garage trying to pull the wool over owners eyes stereotype

Oil now changed back to MTF 94, and while doing that found the control arm ball joint shot, so that will be the vibration I've been unable to find (surprised the MOT man missed it though)

And finally, the bonnet cable has just snapped so now got to fight hat open :devil: - when it stops raining

when it stops raining you usually sit in a puddle...

Athorpe
19th July 2014, 12:28
Might just be getting wet I think :D

DMGRS
19th July 2014, 12:34
To clarify, while the 'new' Master uses the original plastic pipework, I've not had any issues with the original Tazu Master, and I've sold nearly 200 so far.

Athorpe
19th July 2014, 18:16
Bottom control arm put up an epic fight,

Got the hub carrier joint out easy, as it had new struts a month or so ago. Got the rear bush free with much swearing, graced arms and blood, but the bottom ball joint to the sub frame wouldn't give up for anything.

In the end took a 6 foot bar putting tension on it from outside, and beating **** out of it with a 12lb sledge hammer from underneath, it gave in eventually but the threaded bit of the joint and the nut looked like a domed rivet once finished, and needed cutting off to get the arm out.

Now back together just before the thunderstorm soaked everything,

Just got to fight my way into the bonnet tomorrow now ;)

Athorpe
20th July 2014, 19:33
Got into the bonnet, not the easiest job but done now
Modified the bracket the cables sit in the prevent a re-occurrence, I hope :}

Clutch is also proving to be vastly lighter than its ever been