PDA

View Full Version : Starting problem.

Mikeal1
8th July 2014, 17:07
I am hoping to get some advice.

I've had a problem with my tourer starting.
About 1 week ago, I stupidly left the key in position 2 whilst I went to the shop. (Wife in passenger seat)
I returned 5 mins later and tried to start her, after failing the first time, she just clicked the second, click click click.

I used dads car to jump start her, then drove the 80 miles home, no problem. I've used it every day since, with no problems, until today.

Exactly same thing happened.
Again I jump started her, and she started straight away.
But since then when I first start her? The engine runs but there is no power, it feels like she has stalled, ticking over at around 500rpm. This only lasts for 20 seconds, then it seems ok.

Will changing the battery cure all the problems, or does it sound like there could be other issues?
Fire any questions that I haven't answered please?

Mikeal1
8th July 2014, 17:18
It's a diesel

Parker
8th July 2014, 17:52
New battery could be the answer, once they start failing our cars cry out for a new replacement.

suzublu
8th July 2014, 17:58
New battery could be the answer, once they start failing our cars cry out for a new replacement.
Phil!!!!!! you're back :D:D

Mikeal1
8th July 2014, 18:13

Thanks Phil,

Is there anything else it could be, I'm a little concerned about the fact that there is very little power when is starts?

Mikeal1
8th July 2014, 18:43
I am hoping to get some advice.

I've had a problem with my tourer starting.
About 1 week ago, I stupidly left the key in position 2 whilst I went to the shop. (Wife in passenger seat)
I returned 5 mins later and tried to start her, after failing the first time, she just clicked the second, click click click.

I used dads car to jump start her, then drove the 80 miles home, no problem. I've used it every day since, with no problems, until today.

Exactly same thing happened.
Again I jump started her, and she started straight away.
But since then when I first start her? The engine runs but there is no power, it feels like she has stalled, ticking over at around 500rpm. This only lasts for 20 seconds, then it seems ok.

Will changing the battery cure all the problems, or does it sound like there could be other issues?
Fire any questions that I haven't answered please?

It's a 2L diesel.

(I've already posted this in the general forum but replies were very thin on the ground, so could a mod please delete the other thread)

Darkxs
8th July 2014, 18:49
Hi Mikeal. The diesel is very fussy when it comes to flat or dying batteries as it draws a lot of current when starting. I've had a battery go from okish to dead in a few hours and no matter how much I tried and charged it, she was dead and needed to be replaced. I don't think you've got any other issues to worry about to be honest.
I've driven a petrol Vauxhall with a dead battery and despite a good alternator charge the ride was very lumpy.

Parker
8th July 2014, 19:18
Merged threads in the technical help forum

And yes for the moment I am back ;)

Mikeal1
8th July 2014, 19:36
Hi Mikeal. The diesel is very fussy when it comes to flat or dying batteries as it draws a lot of current when starting. I've had a battery go from okish to dead in a few hours and no matter how much I tried and charged it, she was dead and needed to be replaced. I don't think you've got any other issues to worry about to be honest.
I've driven a petrol Vauxhall with a dead battery and despite a good alternator charge the ride was very lumpy.

Thanks Darius, I really appreciate your help.

Mikeal1
8th July 2014, 19:37
Merged threads in the technical help forum

And yes for the moment I am back ;)

Thanks Phil, sorry for about the double post.

Darkxs
8th July 2014, 20:32
Thanks Darius, I really appreciate your help.

Welcome Mikeal. Replace your battery and the problems should go away, better sooner than be stuck with one that even a jump start won't budge.;)

Mikeal1
8th July 2014, 20:37
Thanks mate, I've emailed a user on here as he has a new battery for sale, otherwise I'll have to try halfrauds I suppose