PDA

View Full Version : Diesel cooling fan while towing

johnnyb44
10th July 2014, 14:13
Hi.
While towing my caravan today around hilly Wales i noticed that the radiator fan kicked in on the low speed.This is the first time I've ever heard it cut in except for when i have the air con on. From what i have gathered here, our diesels tend to run on the cooler side which has got me wondering if there may be something a miss with my car or it just simply the norm !. The weather has been quite warm today and some of the hills have been quite steep just before we arrived at the camp site. Logic dictates its all perfectly normal but im a born worrier.
Many thanks
Johnny

SD1too
10th July 2014, 15:50
Thanks for posting your experience Johnny. This possibility was mentioned recently in a thread concerning failed low speed fans on diesel cars. To address your self-confessed worrying nature, why not activate the digital coolant temperature display and monitor it when you next drive the car. Check your coolant level in the expansion tank as well.

Simon

johnnyb44
10th July 2014, 17:40
Hi SDItoo
I personally think it was normal as its been quite a hot day today. As you suggest though i will set up the digital temp option on the display on my way back home on Sunday. Hopefully its just a simple case of paranoia kicking in.
Many thanks

Johnny

Mike Noc
10th July 2014, 18:45
Sounds perfectly normal to me. Yes the M47R does run cool but the best two ways to warm it up are to harness it up for some serious pulling or drive it like you stole it. ;) :D

wuzerk
10th July 2014, 18:54
If you heard it cut in did you hear it cut off? More importantly, did it go to the high speed 'jet engine' speed at any time? If not it sounds as though it was doing its job to me. Since
you say you heard it cut in on a hot day your air con must have been off?

johnnyb44
10th July 2014, 19:08
Hi again.
Just as we were nearing the campsite there was a longish climb for about a mile were the auto box was dropping down to 4th. When we turned off towards the campsite we stopped for a minute to chat with the site owner then went to our pitch. This was when i noticed to fan kicking in as i was reversing the caravan into position. The fan was on low speed then switched off about a minute later. When i restarted the car a few minutes later to pull it forward off the caravan it started again for around 20 seconds. Is this normal behaviour and im over reacting (as i usually do ) or is there an underlying problem ?

wuzerk
10th July 2014, 19:10
Considering the load I think it was normal.

johnnyb44
10th July 2014, 19:14
Cheers Wuzerk..
That's the answer i was hoping to get buddy.

SD1too
10th July 2014, 19:27
.. we stopped for a minute to chat with the site owner then went to our pitch. This was when i noticed to fan kicking in as i was reversing the caravan into position. The fan was on low speed then switched off about a minute later. When i restarted the car a few minutes later to pull it forward off the caravan it started again for around 20 seconds. Is this normal behaviour ..
Most definitely normal behaviour; I second wuzerk's last post.

When climbing the steep hill towing your caravan the engine was working very hard. The temperature would have been increasing steadily. When you were stationary talking to the campsite owner the airflow through the radiator had stopped. As you began reversing it must have hit 100° and the fan started. The fact that it reduced the temperature to 96° in one minute demonstrates that your cooling system is in good order. You then stopped the engine so all that hot coolant was no longer circulating so it's temperature rose again. That explains the fan running for 20 seconds when you restarted the engine; the temperature had reached 100° again.

There's absolutely nothing to worry about. Pour yourself a beer and relax.

Simon

johnnyb44
10th July 2014, 19:36
Cheers guys .
Very much appreciated .
Right now weres the beer gone !!!!