PDA

View Full Version : CDTI Remapping and Dual Mass Flywheel

mgx
11th July 2014, 13:40
Hi guys,

I'm in the process of buying a CDTI 135 ZT-T and am keen to have it remapped once i get it as i would like it to tow and I do a lot of motorway miles for work. We do bespoke ECU files at work and have our own dyno, so it will be done right - gains to be expected are about 30HP and 65NM (more of an economy map).

Question i'm asking is:- is the Dual Mass Flywheel and clutch setup up to it or have people had bad experiences after remapping these vehicles? I don't know much about the M47 in FWD trim...

Many thanks,

John

okenora
11th July 2014, 14:08
160bhp approx. is generally accepted as the safe maximum. There is already a well proven 160bhp re-map available.

tdi90
11th July 2014, 15:15
RE the clutch, if it hasn't been changed since the car was made, or had a cheap and nasty one fitted, then whacking more power through it WILL cause it to wear faster and fail (Yes, I know from first hand experience :getmecoat: )

mgx
11th July 2014, 15:22
160bhp approx. is generally accepted as the safe maximum. There is already a well proven 160bhp re-map available.

Thanks for the info. Out of interest, who is the proven map done by? Any idea on the limiting torque for the standard DMF?

marinabrian
11th July 2014, 15:32
Thanks for the info. Out of interest, who is the proven map done by? Any idea on the limiting torque for the standard DMF?

359 Nm, any more than that and you risk exceeding the clamping load of the clutch pressure plate.

I know who produced the map too ;)

Brian :D

maxi_crawf
11th July 2014, 18:22
Re; tdi90,
Would excessive wear/failure be due to the clutch having a lot of miles on it already or slippage and all that extra power when changing gear?

tdi90
11th July 2014, 18:54
Re; tdi90,
Would excessive wear/failure be due to the clutch having a lot of miles on it already or slippage and all that extra power when changing gear?

If its done a fair few miles, then the extra power going through the clutch will speed up the need to change the clutch due to slippage :D Dont forget, that once you get a synergy or re-map you WILL be using the extra power for wee while :drool4:

Mine had done 122k miles on the original clutch, then I fitted a synergy, drove it like I stole it for a week and the clutch started slipping :getmecoat:
The clutch guru Andy Willi sorted me out with his excellent mobile clutch service. Cars now done 141k miles and the synergy has been replaced by the 160 re-map with no further slippage :D

seancar
11th July 2014, 19:20
I also know who did the 160 map and its great.
I had a 160 done on my old cdti and even at over 200,000 miles not a problem with engine or gearbox.
How ever I did a 160 upgrade on our old cdt tourer auto which has now done 443,000 miles and it does puff a bit of smoke now. The gearbox is fine still, the engine runs great but we think it needs a set of injectors fitted now, it smokes a bit between 50mph and 80 mph. Get it over 100 mph and it stops smoking. Now for those of you who have seen our tourer know what I mean about a shed on wheels. If that takes a 160 remap at that millage you have no worries

maxi_crawf
11th July 2014, 19:57
I only ask because mine has 192K on the car and it's the original clutch as far as I know.

okenora
11th July 2014, 20:07
if it's the original clutch (and slave) at 192k then do the lottery with luck like that, mines similar mileage and just onto it's 3rd slave.

maxi_crawf
11th July 2014, 20:16
if it's the original clutch (and slave) at 192k then do the lottery with luck like that

I bought the car in Feb 06 registered in Dec 01 it had 113K on the clock when I bought it, twas a lease hire car and the company maintained it, when I collected it I was given a copy of the original invoice and a 3 page print off of everything that had been done to it from day one and I'm sure there was no mention of a clutch replacement and I have not had it done.

The original alternator was replaced this February and it's still got the original exhaust, that's what the garage where I took it to told me.

seancar
11th July 2014, 20:38
I only ask because mine has 192K on the car and it's the original clutch as far as I know.
You have done well to get 190k out of it. Most are on at least the second clutch by then getting up to the third.

mgx
12th July 2014, 21:24
I also know who did the 160 map and its great.
I had a 160 done on my old cdti and even at over 200,000 miles not a problem with engine or gearbox.
How ever I did a 160 upgrade on our old cdt tourer auto which has now done 443,000 miles and it does puff a bit of smoke now. The gearbox is fine still, the engine runs great but we think it needs a set of injectors fitted now, it smokes a bit between 50mph and 80 mph. Get it over 100 mph and it stops smoking. Now for those of you who have seen our tourer know what I mean about a shed on wheels. If that takes a 160 remap at that millage you have no worries

....and here was me worrying about the ZT i just bought at 153k... awesome news! They must be pretty bulletproof engines then?? :}

Shame the drivetrain seems so weak though. :duh:

DMGRS
13th July 2014, 10:56
I used to run 187BHP on my old 75 Tourer, however you could tell the clutch (a 10k old LuK at the time) was close to its limits.
Can't remember the torque figure, but from memory it was around 300 lb/ft.

The 160 map will be OK on your original clutch, however bear in mind you will be putting more load on it. If it's already teetering on the edge of failure, this could push it over the edge.
Also, mileage is nothing on a CDTi. I've only bought them with well over 100k on the clock, and on the whole they've been reliable.

mgx
13th July 2014, 22:24
Good to hear thanks. I think mine had a clutch and slave kit 2 years ago, seems fine but we'll see

Out of interest, what's the best flywheel upgrade for them?

Cheers,

John

Jakg
13th July 2014, 22:36
I don't know any proven DMF upgrades - but I have seen some "Stage X" clutches advertised (but not heard anyone using them).

Mike Noc
13th July 2014, 22:41
Out of interest, what's the best flywheel upgrade for them?

Cheers,

John

There isn't one I know of John. If it needs replacing stick with the OEM DMF.

Crankshafts have been known to snap on the M47R, so I wouldn't fit a solid flywheel, although a few people have.