PDA

View Full Version : Another Air Con Thread - but a bit different

Dvorak
11th July 2014, 13:46
Hi guys,

I took her to Kwik-Fit this morning for an air con regas, and explained that I've had the car a year and it's never seemed to blow any colder with AC on than it does with AC off, so I don't know if it just needs a regas or if something more expensive is broken.

Their machine filled it up and it certainly seems to be working much better - seems very cold to me, but they said it wasn't cold enough to charge me but it might get better over time. Maybe this is what happened.

Anyway, as I was going home I heard (can't tell where from) this kind of brand new squeaky sound when I put lots of load on the engine - never heard anything like it before.

Is this anything to worry about, or is it just lubricant going round the system or something. I have manual heating controls if that's relevant.

Thanks very much!

suffolk boy
11th July 2014, 14:15
chances are unless they did a vacume test you have a leak.the gas has escaped .the noise its most likely caused by your compressor now working overtime due to the lack of gas

Dvorak
11th July 2014, 14:29
chances are unless they did a vacume test you have a leak.the gas has escaped .the noise its most likely caused by your compressor now working overtime due to the lack of gas

They said that the machine had accepted it - as I understand it that requires some kind of 30 minute vacuum test, but I'm probably wrong.

The squeak only came a couple of times, and not when I engaged/disengaged the air con if that makes any difference.

paulozy
11th July 2014, 14:34
maybe its the aircon belt squealing

SD1too
11th July 2014, 15:49
maybe its the aircon belt squealing
:wot:
Hi William,

The diesel engine's multi-layer crankshaft pulley has a tendancy to delaminate. When the air conditioning compressor is engaged it puts additional load on this pulley, via the drivebelt, and other members have reported horrible noises but only when the air conditioning is on. Your squeak may be the early signs of this.

Another possibility is a crack in the drivebelt or incorrect tension.

Simon

Dvorak
11th July 2014, 17:57
:wot:
Hi William,

The diesel engine's multi-layer crankshaft pulley has a tendancy to delaminate. When the air conditioning compressor is engaged it puts additional load on this pulley, via the drivebelt, and other members have reported horrible noises but only when the air conditioning is on. Your squeak may be the early signs of this.

Another possibility is a crack in the drivebelt or incorrect tension.

Simon

Argh - that sounds annoying and expensive. I'm hoping it's just related to the AC belt as above, as the engine has only done 86k and is otherwise in good health.