PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Issue

wizzo337
11th July 2014, 21:57
Hope someone can assist.
Started the car at work the other night and thought whilst turning over I could hear a sort of chuffing sound, the car was running and idling fine when I handed the work keys in and left it running so I thought nothing of it. Today I took a run to Peterborough and then home via the motorway and Huntingdon, and whilst in traffic noticed that it was idling slightly rough.
By the time I got home at idle there was some smoke coming out of the exhaust and a smell of unburnt diesel, but if I raise the rpm a bit, it seems to run ok with no smoke.
Its a bit late and dark to have a look tonight, but I aim to get up tomorrow and have a look, does anyone have any pointers as to what I should be looking for, I am quite tech savvy, (I work on aircraft), but this is my first ever diesel car.
Any suggestions would be helpful, it may be something rudely apparent, but this place is the hub of knowledge and somebody may have had the same problem.
Thanks,
wizzo337.

tdi90
11th July 2014, 22:40
Check/clean/replace PCV filter
When was it last serviced? (fuel filter, air filter)
Un-plug the MAF and see if the problem stops (if so, either leave unplugged or buy a new un)
Stick a bottle of injector cleaner in the diesel tank and drive with a lead right foot :D

chrishumphries
11th July 2014, 22:41
Well worth checking your intercooler o rings and pcv valve filter (plenty of info in the How To sections) Your EGR valve may be clogged, again worth a clean out or a bypass. The intercooler pipe also has a habit of swelling and becoming porous over time and can lead to poor 'breathing'.

Dragrad
11th July 2014, 22:51
Thread moved to appropriate forum. Re-direct left in old.

wizzo337
12th July 2014, 00:02
Check/clean/replace PCV filter
When was it last serviced? (fuel filter, air filter)
Un-plug the MAF and see if the problem stops (if so, either leave unplugged or buy a new un)
Stick a bottle of injector cleaner in the diesel tank and drive with a lead right foot :D

I did stick some cleaner in it the other day, wondering if this has removed the crud from around the injectors and made them leak. Tomorrow will tell, top off and start it up see if the noise is still there and if it is coming from an injector.
Makes sense, low rpm poor seal not enough pressure to ignite the fuel hence the unburnt diesel smell and smoke from the exhaust, but when the revs come up so does the pressure enabling the fuel to ignite. Been reading up on the net and looking at YouTube and I think I will be having a good look around the top of the injectors in the morning.
Thanks for all the info.
I will post what I find tomorrow.
Wizo337

wizzo337
12th July 2014, 12:28
Makes sense, low rpm poor seal not enough pressure to ignite the fuel hence the unburnt diesel smell and smoke from the exhaust, but when the revs come up so does the pressure enabling the fuel to ignite. Been reading up on the net and looking at YouTube and I think I will be having a good look around the top of the injectors in the morning.
Thanks for all the info.
I will post what I find tomorrow.
Wizo337

Started the car this morning and it was fine, so I let it idle for a while. After about five minutes it got a bit lumpy and the dreaded white smoke started to come out of the exhaust. Unplugged the injectors one by one and didn't notice too much difference in the lumpiness or the white smoke so decided to go deeper.
Engine cover off filter out, still clean(ish), PCV off and in bits, gave it a good wash and put it back on. Started the engine, still the same, unplugged the MAF, still the same. Pulled all the wiring off the injectors and spun the engine over. Heard a very slight noise from the number 2 injector so I had a go at tightening its clamp bolts, got about two turns on each bolt before they were anywhere near tight. I thought I better check the rest, number 1 and number 3 were nice and tight, number 4 however was really loose, I managed to get about four turns on each one. Number 3 looks like it has been replaced at sometime as it is cleaner and has different nuts on it, so I can only presume that they have all been out and not really put back in properly.
Anyway, it doesn't smoke any more and the idle is much smoother, going to take it out for a test run in a little while after I get myself cleaned up.
I also noticed that there is a little plastic shield in the PCV that is busted, does anyone know if they are available to buy.
Wizzo337.

DMGRS
12th July 2014, 14:45
Glad she's running better - you'll be best advised to grab a set of injector seals and re-seat the injectors on these, though.
If they've been leaking past the sealing washer, there'll be carbon on there now that'll mean you'll get a poor seal.

wizzo337
12th July 2014, 15:21
Glad she's running better - you'll be best advised to grab a set of injector seals and re-seat the injectors on these, though.
If they've been leaking past the sealing washer, there'll be carbon on there now that'll mean you'll get a poor seal.

Got some on the way. Anything I need to look out for when I do the job.
Been looking on YouTube with regards to removing the injectors and it seems they are easier to lift with the engine hot. Is this the case.
Thanks.
Wizzo337.

polinsteve
13th July 2014, 23:08
Did you use the correct cleaner? Common rail systems can be messed up if you use an injector cleaner not formulated for common rail.

wizzo337
14th July 2014, 03:18
Did you use the correct cleaner? Common rail systems can be messed up if you use an injector cleaner not formulated for common rail.

Redex Diesel cleaner, suitable for common rail engines.
Certainly seems to have done a good job of cleaning things, car starts easier from cold now too so must be a bonus, and a bottle does two fill ups.
It always seems to be on special offer somewhere, half price at tesco then three for two at halfords. Can't beat special offers.
Wizzo337.
:drool4: