PDA

View Full Version : headlamp bulb change mission

robocab
13th July 2014, 13:14
nevermind call of duty on xbox try bulb on a rover lol...i've just changed the drivers headlight bulb but it went in with the tang pointing downwards. Is that correct ?

suzublu
13th July 2014, 13:19
The tang on the bulb should be at the 12 o'clock position:}

robocab
13th July 2014, 13:28
well thats what i was thinking i'm gonna check again later on just incase but what a mare to get into

suzublu
13th July 2014, 13:33
Did you get in by the wheel arch panel :shrug: bit easier, but then i have smallish hands:D

75driver
13th July 2014, 14:14
I think for the mark 2 cars, the tab points downwards.
Edit: I think this just applies to bayonet type fitting

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=166222

robocab
13th July 2014, 14:33
plz tell me ya joking i've just done it again pointing up now...but the tang on the bulb holder is now bent out of the way to make it a tad easier but still a MARE

grivas
13th July 2014, 15:46
The tang on the bulb fits exactly at the 12 o'clock position, no bending or forcing is needed otherwise the beam will be 'wrong' and you will be blinding other drivers at night, and come MOT will fail test. So take it out again, carefully study the situation, no need to hurry, then holding the bulb by the contact end position it with care so it fits with tang in that 12 o'clock position, then swing the spring clip over and under ensuring the clip engages into position, wiggle it gently to ensure this is so, then re attach electrical connector, replace wheel arch cover and there you have it. Best of luck.

Steve42
13th July 2014, 15:55
And don't do what I did .dropped the bulb and it fell in the surround never to be seen again. :D

Frank Incensed
13th July 2014, 15:56
The tang on the bulb fits exactly at the 12 o'clock position, no bending or forcing is needed otherwise the beam will be 'wrong' and you will be blinding other drivers at night, and come MOT will fail test. So take it out again, carefully study the situation, no need to hurry, then holding the bulb by the contact end position it with care so it fits with tang in that 12 o'clock position, then swing the spring clip over and under ensuring the clip engages into position, wiggle it gently to ensure this is so, then re attach electrical connector, replace wheel arch cover and there you have it. Best of luck.

While doing all this remember not to touch the glass of the bulb, or you'll end up having to do it again, sooner than necessary. And a 75 / ZT seems to blow more bulbs than any other car I've owned.:mad:

robocab
13th July 2014, 16:04
sorry mines a mk2 the fitting is different :-( thats why its such a faf on not a standard fit like on most cars.no spring clip but a fit n twist

suzublu
13th July 2014, 16:07
Does it look like this Bri? http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/waveguide/Lamps_Lights_Stuff/BulbHolder_Dipped_LHS004_zps8648b66a.jpg

75driver
13th July 2014, 16:15

The op may not have the spring clip type fitting.

Tab at 12 o'clock is ok for spring type clip (mostly on pre-facelift?)

Tab is at 6 o'clock for bayonet type fitting, halogen bulb, for outboard headlight/dipped beam.
(Mostly on facelift?)
Anyway, that's what my facelift manual shows, and it's the only way I could get it to fit, even when TRYING to do it wrong.

75driver
13th July 2014, 16:16
Too slow......:)

robocab
13th July 2014, 16:47
yeah suzublu thats mine but right hand side....i'm now just gonna pop out & do it again tang on bulb at 6o clock like the 1st time aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh :mad:

pab
13th July 2014, 16:56
yeah suzublu thats mine but right hand side....i'm now just gonna pop out & do it again tang on bulb at 6o clock like the 1st time aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh :mad:
Before any bulb removal study the arrangement of the clip, or in your case the bayonet fitting. Stick your phone in the wheel arch inspection panel and take a image, makes for easier re fitting.

Doc Evil
13th July 2014, 20:59
While doing all this remember not to touch the glass of the bulb, or you'll end up having to do it again, sooner than necessary. And a 75 / ZT seems to blow more bulbs than any other car I've owned.:mad:

A little tip is to clean the class with isopropyl alcohol or meths to clean the bulb from manufacturers accidental touches prior to fitting. sodium contamination is more of a problem with cheap far eastern bulbs

then they dont blow every five minutes:D
Doc:cool:

Frank Incensed
14th July 2014, 06:33
A little tip is to clean the class with isopropyl alcohol or meths to clean the bulb from manufacturers accidental touches prior to fitting. sodium contamination is more of a problem with cheap far eastern bulbs

then they dont blow every five minutes:D
Doc:cool:

Thanks Doc. TBH I'd never considered someone else might have touched them! Will definitely do that before I fit the Osrams I spent £35:eek: on earlier this year.