PDA

View Full Version : Fuel burning heater noise

JMW
13th July 2014, 19:30
Hi,

I have a 2002 mk1 CDTi and i have noticed that I can hear the fuel burning heater making noises randomly, like its coming on and then going off when the engine isnt running.

The weather is nice and warm and it seems random?

Anyone know what the problem could be? or should I just disconnect it?

Regards

Jonathan

PS it might not be the FBH but i think it is.

steve811
13th July 2014, 19:33
If it is the FBH, try disconnecting the red and white wire (Kbus) in the 6 pin connector.

David Lawrence
13th July 2014, 19:37
Hi,

I have a 2002 mk1 CDTi and i have noticed that I can hear the fuel burning heater making noises randomly, like its coming on and then going off when the engine isnt running.

The weather is nice and warm and it seems random?

Anyone know what the problem could be? or should I just disconnect it?

Regards

Jonathan

PS it might not be the FBH but i think it is.

You can sometimes sort it by cutting the wire to the k-bus. But it is a sign that your pcb might be faulty. Cutting the wire will stop it making noises, but won't guarantee that the FBh will actually work when winter comes.

Coups
13th July 2014, 20:08
When I got my car the FBH was doing this every time you operated something electrical when the car was not running, central locking for example would set it off for a couple of min. I've just unplugged it as it was like that when I found it. Planning in putting it back when the weather gets colder!

JMW
13th July 2014, 20:55
ill try unplugging it for the moment and see how that goes, I id notice my mpg was down and wondered if this could have anything to do with it.

Thanks

J

HarryM1BYT
13th July 2014, 21:41
ill try unplugging it for the moment and see how that goes, I id notice my mpg was down and wondered if this could have anything to do with it.

Thanks

J

Probably not, its just the combustion fan which runs, the FBH doesn't fire up and burn fuel, even when it is supposed to. You need to remove the PCB and post it of to FrenchMike to repair it.

It can also cause other strange effects on other items on the k-bus.

maidstonedave
13th July 2014, 23:07
Point of interest. When should the FBH cut in ?

JMW
14th July 2014, 06:21

I think when external temp is below 5 degrees celcius

HarryM1BYT
14th July 2014, 09:47

The standard install - When the external temperature is below +5C and coolant is below 77C and the engine is running, though it can be modified with switches and timers to run at other times.