PDA

View Full Version : 1.8 Petrol turbo - boost pressure control hoses

planenut
15th July 2014, 17:50
Due to the turbo appearing to hesitate at high acceleration I had a look round and found that there is a hose appearing to be off the turbo.
Haynes shows three hoses coming off the boost control solenoid valve and mentions them, but not where they go.
It is one of these that is hanging loose around the gearbox/turbo area and there is a nipple on the lower side of the turbo without a hose, but the hose connection does not sit naturally at that angle (i.e. after use they generally sit at the correct angle for the nipple to which they have been fitted).
Haynes also states that there are three hoses here for the turbo, but there are only two nipples on the turbo - is there another diagram somewhere?
ADDED.....
at the solenoid, the yellow hose connected to the upper nipple on the turbo, but I have just found that the connection sits more naturally on the lower nipple. The black sits more naturally on the upper nipple.
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff197/planenuttoo/turbosolenoid_zps857632b2.jpg

jib64
17th July 2014, 13:51
Ignore the shape/memory of the hoses as different people have them run and twisted in different ways after refitting them, and go for

Hoses from boost control solenoid (little grey unit attached to airbox):

Long Black onto the turbo housing (near the word "Garrett")
Long Yellow/White onto the actuator (the lower round silver thing nearest to the engine block)
Short Black onto air intake pipe running from airbox

The 3rd Black hose coming off the turbo recirculating dump valve (the upper round silver thing nearest to the radiator) goes up to the intake manifold (top of engine block between block and bulkhead)

Word of warning though - if they are prone to coming off squeeze the rubber right angle elbow bends on the ends of the hoses to see if they are perished and cracked (most are), if so replace them with some 3mm inside diameter silicone hose that can be bought off ebay or from Auto Silicone Hoses etc quite cheaply and stretched directly onto the hose tails and cable tied

planenut
17th July 2014, 14:35
Thank you MGJohn and jib64 for helpful replies. I just got this car with a few little faults, and when the new reversing light switch arrives I'll be able to start her up and have another go.