PDA

View Full Version : Should my fbh get hot.

pinebob
15th July 2014, 21:17
hi all, checking my engine the other day after a run to skegy and noticed my FBH was realy hot,should it get hot when it is supposed to be not working or does the engine coolant still pas through it making it very hot to the touch.

klarzy
15th July 2014, 21:33
hi all, checking my engine the other day after a run to skegy and noticed my FBH was realy hot,should it get hot when it is supposed to be not working or does the engine coolant still pas through it making it very hot to the touch.

I should think the ambient heat in the engine bay would make it quite hot bud...

pinebob
15th July 2014, 21:43
I should think the ambient heat in the engine bay would make it quite hot bud...

cheers pete ,but it was really hot could barely touch it and i was worried the coolant pipe that runs round it was going to melt.

bl52krz
15th July 2014, 21:48
So far as i know, the coolant runs through it all the time, not just when it is working.

Avulon
15th July 2014, 21:49
The coolant still runs through it, so with the heat we've been having I'd expect it to get as hot as the coolant (80-90 degrees, too hot to touch). The only thing maybe worth checking is the exhaust pipe just check that's not hot (carefully and further away from the fbh itself maybe below the bend) just to make sure it's not been running which I think is unlikely.

Dragrad
15th July 2014, 21:50
Thread moved to appropriate forum. Re-direct left in old.

Coups
16th July 2014, 11:59
My FBH is presently unplugged and still gets really hot, too hot to touch. It surprised me but now I see the coolant runs through it all the time I'm relieved there's nothing wrong.

HarryM1BYT
16th July 2014, 12:09
It will get hot as a result of the coolant flow passing through it, but if the FBH runs, it will heat up its exhaust pipe. That pipe will get hot enough to take your skin off.