PDA

View Full Version : Front Wheel bearings

johnnyb44
16th July 2014, 09:13
Good morning to all.
I've just noticed a very faint humming noise ( like an old fashioned spinning top hum ) and im 95% certain its coming from the drivers side front wheel. It sounds to me like a wheel bearing is on its way out. I was just wondering are they a big job to replace on our cars. Also is it just simply a bearing that needs replacing or do you have to buy a complete hub assembly. As you can gather by this post im watching the pennys as im in the middle of a house move. If its a straight bearing swap i will get it done asap otherwise it may have to wait for a few weeks until im settled in to our new place.
Many thanks for reading.
Johnny

T-Cut
16th July 2014, 09:34
Bearings can be extracted and replaced from the swivel hub if you have access to a hydraulic press and the skill to do the job. A reputable garage should have both. Otherwise most people buy a replacement hub unit, typically a second hand one.

TC

johnnyb44
16th July 2014, 09:37
That's great news.
A relatively straight forward job that isn't going to cost the earth :-)

klarzy
16th July 2014, 09:42
The bearings can be surced easily, you will also need in all probability a new ABS sensor for the hub as they need to be removed to extract the bearing and are invariably corroded into place and are destroyed when removing.

The bearings can be 30 ish pounds uowards for a reasonable quality one and the ABS sensors range from 14-60 pounds, i use the cheaper ones without issue so far (9 months +).
While the hub is off you may want to consider also the condition of the disc backing plate as this is removed to give access to the bearing in the press and is the best time to replace if needed.

Hard to source but reasonable ones can be found second hand on line and in scrappies.

You will also need a new hub nut and should consider the CV if in any doubt for not a lot of cost you can replace that too while it is all in bits.

johnnyb44
16th July 2014, 10:19
Many thanks for the info.All very much appreciated.

Heddy
16th July 2014, 10:29
My front o/s bearing was droning for weeks till I realised it was the cause, I believed they were new. It became almost deafening. As said, they cost around £30 and have a magnetic pick up incorporated within the bearing for the ABS. Fortunately I have a friendly mechanic who fitted it for £20. I wouldn't do it myself , I only have an engineers vice, wanted it pushed in square and knew they were a really tight fit.:}

johnnyb44
16th July 2014, 11:04
Cheers Buddy.

johnnyb44
25th July 2014, 22:15
Hi.
Just a quick update.
I've got the car booked in next Saturday to get my wheel bearing sorted out. This week ( around 250 miles done ) its become increasingly louder. Its now turned from a slight whine to a grumbling sound. Today i gave the wheel a pulling around and i can feel a small about of play in it. Worryingly the free play is with the wheel still in contact with the road !!!.
If it wasn't for our house move ( expensive business ) i would of got it sorted sooner :-\
Johhny

DMGRS
26th July 2014, 00:27
It does sound like the bearing has seen better days!
If your garage will fit your own parts, I stock them - it could help keep the cost down a bit. :)

75/ZT Front Wheel Bearing Kit (http://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/clutch-transmission-parts/products/oem-rover-75-mg-zt-front-wheel-bearing-kit-nwb-rud100150)

johnnyb44
26th July 2014, 07:34
Many thanks Matt.
I will get the garage to actually tell me !! this morning its the wheel bearing that's gone and then i will order one from you. I know it sounds a little strange in me saying but at the end of the day when it boils down to mechanics im shall we say not the brightest bulb in the pack..Im 99 % sure its the bearing but i will get a professional opinion on it before i buy the part.
I'll speak to you soon.
Many thanks
Johnny