PDA

View Full Version : Cooling Fans

Last14
16th July 2014, 10:52
Just trying to clarify a cooling fan query, i've done a few searches on here to help understand but still a bit confused. Had the fan replaced in December, as previous was apparently not working. It was replaced with Rimmers item;

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-PGJ000100

at a cost of $591 (yes, $591) for the part only.

But then since reading threads like this;

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=189409&highlight=cooling+fan

Should i be fitting something like this gold resistor that Jules has? To prolong the life / make it work more effectively ? Or am i getting the wrong end of the stick??? Cheers.

Organiser
16th July 2014, 11:11
Yes, you should replace the silver resistor, if that is what you fitted with the gold one from Jules.

Tom.

Last14
16th July 2014, 11:23
Yes, you should replace the silver resistor, if that is what you fitted with the gold one from Jules.

Tom.

Ok thanks. If the Rimmers' one comes with the silver resistor, then will have to change it. I didn't fit it personally, but i don't believe the garage changed it from what was sent from Rimmers. Cheers.

Rick-sta
16th July 2014, 11:33
If the parts been replaced and the fan's working, I wouldn't personally bother replacing the resistor until it fails, might be worth buying one so it's ready to fit if it does fail though.

Organiser
16th July 2014, 11:39
The link you posted for Rimmers show a picture of the fan and a silver resistor and as far as I'm aware Rimmers do not sell the uprated gold resistor?

Contact Jules for one and then it's bumper off time again!

Tom.

Kenny m
16th July 2014, 13:20
Had to replace the fan on my 2.5 connie when I bought it as the low speed was non modus operandi !!!
Got one of flea bay for £170 and had fitted by a Rover guy I know.
Came with the silver one but will not bother to replace untill it fails.
So far the fan has been flawless.

Kenny

wuzerk
16th July 2014, 13:58
Just trying to clarify a cooling fan query, i've done a few searches on here to help understand but still a bit confused. Had the fan replaced in December, as previous was apparently not working. It was replaced with Rimmers item;

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-PGJ000100

at a cost of $591 (yes, $591) for the part only.

But then since reading threads like this;

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=189409&highlight=cooling+fan

Should i be fitting something like this gold resistor that Jules has? To prolong the life / make it work more effectively ? Or am i getting the wrong end of the stick??? Cheers.

Re the silver resistor, when it is working it is perfectly ok.
You will know when it fails because the fan will operate in short high speed
bursts when the air con is on instead of running at low speed all the time the air con is on. As suggested, you should get the Gold resistor put by
and, if you have the early car with the removable front grill (two fixings)
you do not need to remove the bumper,you can replace it through the fan blades (there are different gaps between the blades, pick the widest one).

Last14
17th July 2014, 03:57
OK thanks for all the feedback guys. I take it that different parts of the fan can fail then. Not just the resistor? But yes I will get a gold one at some point ready. Cheers.

T-Cut
17th July 2014, 09:05
There's also the Xpart warranty to consider. If anything did go wrong - for whatever reason- after swapping the resistor, Xpart would not be very accomodating. If it ain't broken, don't fix it I say.

TC

Last14
17th July 2014, 11:21
Warranty, yes true. Don't think its more than 12 months tho, which I'm half way thru now anyhow. Will wait until the start of next yer before replacing then. Cheers!

DMGRS
18th July 2014, 09:56
Also, postage back to the UK for XPart to fix would be horrendous - I doubt they'd be too eager to cover that.
I'd wait until the silver resistor fails, though - as I have a ZT-T with silver resistor on 147K that's still working fine. Doesn't look like it's ever been off, either!