PDA

View Full Version : MG ZT CDTI swapped injectors from donor car still won't start.

Steven.walsh
16th July 2014, 20:59
Hi folks,
Just bought a Spares and repair and trying to get her up and running save her from the grave. Huge spec too.
Leak back check showed approx 43% out of spec on all 4 injectors.
Ave got x3 ZT Diesels so used one as donor and put injectors out of this into spares and repair.
Still wont start, suspect not best idea I ave ever had but didn't want to fork out £90 injector refurb each just yet at Lynxdiesels to still have a none starter.
When turning over 1 and 2 injectors are bouncing and a mixture of diesel and oil splattering out of where injectors seat into engine. (Oh and vinegar, school boy error as when prising first injector out having soaked in vinegar over night injector surprised me and popped out no orobs and vinegar disappeared into injector orifice, IS THIS SERIOUS?
Should injectors bounce, and smoke come up from where injector sits into block, not to mention the concoction splattering out.
Do I need to change copper washer type seal at tip of injector and rubber O RING nearer head of injector.
If as I suspect I do anyone know where I can get them, DMGRS looks like he has the copper seal type but no rubber O RING seals.
Anything else I should be watching out for or any advice would be very much appreciated.
Toodlepip
Take care
Stevie

Phil-T4
16th July 2014, 21:12
Sounds like you have put the retaining collars on upside down!!

Kenton
16th July 2014, 21:22
Hi folks,
Just bought a Spares and repair and trying to get her up and running save her from the grave. Huge spec too.
Leak back check showed approx 43% out of spec on all 4 injectors.
Ave got x3 ZT Diesels so used one as donor and put injectors out of this into spares and repair.
Still wont start, suspect not best idea I ave ever had but didn't want to fork out £90 injector refurb each just yet at Lynxdiesels to still have a none starter.
When turning over 1 and 2 injectors are bouncing and a mixture of diesel and oil splattering out of where injectors seat into engine. (Oh and vinegar, school boy error as when prising first injector out having soaked in vinegar over night injector surprised me and popped out no orobs and vinegar disappeared into injector orifice, IS THIS SERIOUS?
Should injectors bounce, and smoke come up from where injector sits into block, not to mention the concoction splattering out.
Do I need to change copper washer type seal at tip of injector and rubber O RING nearer head of injector.
If as I suspect I do anyone know where I can get them, DMGRS looks like he has the copper seal type but no rubber O RING seals.
Anything else I should be watching out for or any advice would be very much appreciated.
Toodlepip
Take care
Stevie

I have had a similar issue with 1 injector, and found that the copper washer was in the injector housing, when I put the new injector in with the new washer, obviously there was another issue. realised that there were then two washers in there, and rectified. i think i still have a few new washers somewhere??:duh::duh: i would make sure there are no washers in the housing, and fit new washers, the rubber washer is really only to seat it, the copper washer was the problem with mt issue!! :shrug::shrug:

Rick-sta
16th July 2014, 21:25

+1 . I made this mistake :duh: was spraying diesel out while I was trying to start it.

Also, is your battery charged? when I did mine I had the head unit running for a while which drained my battery enough for the car to not start. Just a thought.

Hope you get it sorted.
Rick

Kenton
16th July 2014, 21:28

Another very valid point, this could also be the issue :bowdown::bowdown:

Steven.walsh
16th July 2014, 22:42
Much appreciated gents and super quick responses.
Checked collars Phil, my thoughts exactly, and had got them set up as per 3&4.
When I say bouncing it's very slight but never the less up and down movement.
Will doubly check in the morning though.
Will check on the washers Fenton as didn't pay them much attention.
Battery fully charged Rick and my main car running throughout with jumper leads connected so turning over super quick.
Will update in the morning, pleasant dreams gents
Steve

Steven.walsh
22nd July 2014, 12:12
Thanks T4-Phil I had indeed got the collars on upside down. What a clutz and had a donar car there to compare.......
Thanks to all so far for your advice and observations very much appreciated.
Took all x4 out, cleaned with new rubber O Rings and copper washers for the tips of injector.
Refitted, this time super tight, not a drop of anything anywhere now whilst turning over.
Alas still took an age to start, albeit this time less drama out of exhaust whilst trying to start so I was hopefull and only 20 mins of effort not 40 which it had been before.
Eventually after 20 mins chugged into life, masses of black smoke, ran it and chuggy at low revs till get some speed up same as before, lots of black smoke too!!
THEN THE OIL LIGHT STARTED TO FLICKER ON AND OFF AND GOT A LOW OIL PRESSURE WARNING ON IPK CENTRE.
Left running another 5 mins and this persisted.

(When I picked up the car some weeks back now drove back from Weston Super Mare some 200ish miles and albeit sluggish and chuggy at low revs didnt seem to be smoking and once at higher revs pulled like a train, no warning lights at all. I since removed the Synergy II and MAF to see if that was anything to do with poor low rev running and did notice car a lot more smokey. The latter I have still not re-fitted).

Looking under the bonnet I assumed smoke from previous start ups was oil and diesel that had gone everywhere, well have maticoulously cleaned engine and is still smoking from the bottom it looks like, plenty of oil in checked that.
Any suggestions folks as I suspect this is terminal!!!!
Not had time to jack car up and see if can locate where smoke is comming from.
Have checked pipes around EGR and albeit they very greasy oily to touch near the bottom end I cant see any splits, not really looked at Intercooler O rings yet, should I look for oil spray around this area to establish whether they worn??
Any advice gents would be greatly appreciated
Stevie

Steven.walsh
22nd July 2014, 20:02
Spyspysptsptypsspypys

marinabrian
22nd July 2014, 21:12
Spyspysptsptypsspypys

Eh, don't you mean hhfgdkkshdllfj :shrug:

Have you checked the intercooler hoses for integrity yet?

Brian :D

Steven.walsh
22nd July 2014, 21:21
Ha ha phone in pocket syndrome Brian,
Will check them out tomorrow,
Cheers Brian will post how I get on