PDA

View Full Version : leaking coolant and don't know where from

willzy
16th July 2014, 21:02
hi i have had my rover 75 classic se not long and really like her so i want to sort all her little problems out and keep her. 1st is coolant leaking and dont know where from? how would i find out, oh yea shes a x reg plated 75 classic se 2.0 auto petrol, and im a car lover with basic mechanical skill so could i do this repair myself? thanks

klarzy
16th July 2014, 22:45
Trick I saw once looking for a tiny leak on a compressor motor (big un)...

Spread talc over the engine... you will soon see any tiny leak make a trail...

Wash off after....;)

T-Cut
17th July 2014, 09:13
You can buy a UV fluorescent dye marker and a UV torch from eBay. Dose the coolant with a pinch of the dye. After a short while, any external leak will leave a marker trail of the involatile dye. Shine the torch over the system at dusk and the dye trail will glow like a beacon.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/waveguide/Cooling_System_Stuff/Fluorescent_Dye_zps2ac75286.jpg

This is standard OAT with the added fluorescein lit with UV.
'Green' antifreeze has the dye aleady.

TC

SD1too
17th July 2014, 10:24
1st is coolant leaking and dont know where from? how would i find out, oh yea shes a ... 2.0 auto petrol ..
Remove the engine acoustic cover (two 8mm hex. screws) and shine a torch into the 'V'. Look for signs of dried antifreeze residue, or even pools of coolant, in the area of the thermostat housing and associated plastic pipes.

Simon

Lates
17th July 2014, 11:30
Your KV6 engine will not have an evap chamber on the waterpump. Prime candidate is the thermo housing. If that is dry brace yourself for a water pump / cam belt change. It's a big job to get in there just to check for evidence.