PDA

View Full Version : Removing back of rear seats

Dvorak
17th July 2014, 21:42
Hi,

Sorry to post yet another request for help - I'm trying to wire up my car to receive electric seats (the originals are manual and there is no loom). The first step has been to take all of the seats, and I have got every piece apart from the back of the rear seats.

I have had a search and people say it's a matter of finding the right angle, but I can't seem to manage it. Does anyone have any hints? They are folding, but not split, and I have taken the bolsters off. The metal pivot attached to the seat back seems to be in a white clip which lines a metal bracket for it to hinge in. It looks like it needs to move toward the boot then lift up to come out, but I can't make it move at all.

I'm sure it should be easy! Thanks :).

pinebob
18th July 2014, 08:37
hi william,it has been a while since i did one so could be a bit rusty but as i recall you need a nice big flat ended srewdriver or something similar then lower the back down till you can clearly see the bracket push the seat side in slightly and you should see a metal flange get the screwdriver and prise the flange into the seat it is spring loaded,once you have prised it in away from the bracket it should disengage the seat back,put something in bracket to stop it re-engaging while you do the same thing on opposite side,it is a bit fiddly to do but persevere and i am sure you will crack it,good luck.

suzublu
18th July 2014, 09:21
Fold the back completely flat on the floor & lift from the pivots:)

Scaramanga
18th July 2014, 13:18
Yeah they can be a pig to get out. Mine took 30 minutes of huffing and puffing. Eventually just popped out after rocking it side to side. It was a pig to replace too btw. Good luck.

Dvorak
18th July 2014, 16:44
Fold the back completely flat on the floor & lift from the pivots:)

Thanks guys - I did it using suzublu's method in the end. I did manage to snap one of the white clips in the process. On a scale of 1 to 10, how much am I going to regret that?

steveo
18th July 2014, 17:21
10 if you fold the seat down and it pops out just as you've clipped it into the upright position

Very difficult to release
Steve

polinsteve
18th July 2014, 19:53
I slipped and cracked a rib doing mine.

Dvorak
19th July 2014, 20:11
Grrrr, what have I done now. I've finished the wiring, put the driver's seat in ready to collect the seats at Gretna tomorrow, and now my seatbelts don't seem to work.

I presume this is because I had to take off the trim which covers them to lift the carpet and haven't put it back properly. They are both very noisy to use, and the springs which retract the belt aren't pulling very strongly at all.

Does anyone know what I've done?

suzublu
19th July 2014, 20:14
Have you refitted the seatbelt height adjuster spring under the seats:shrug:

Dvorak
19th July 2014, 20:28
Have you refitted the seatbelt height adjuster spring under the seats:shrug:

I have, and they seem to be working fine. It's just very slow/weak at retracting. Maybe it just needs a clean or something?

suzublu
19th July 2014, 20:31
Well, if you're going to Gretna tomorrow, perhaps we can have a better look:shrug::} provided of course it's safe for you to use:shrug::}

Dvorak
19th July 2014, 21:11
Well, if you're going to Gretna tomorrow, perhaps we can have a better look:shrug::} provided of course it's safe for you to use:shrug::}

I think I may have solved it! The bit of B pillar trim which covers the seatbelt adjuster guide needs to be carefully refitted to cover the guide, otherwise the seatbelt snags on the trim.

See you tomorrow :).