PDA

View Full Version : Weird electrics problem

Stag>75
18th July 2014, 12:23
2001 R75 2.5: Today I opened the door and sat in the car to find the radio on. But I was holding the keys in my hand. So I inserted the key into the ignition, turning on then off and the radio went off.

I actually forgot about until I was about to park it later today and I noticed the drivers side reading light was on but I hadn't put i on (Unless I somehow accidentally pressed it - but I think not)

I know this happened, it was not a dream. Anyone have an idea what has happened?

berkshirelad
18th July 2014, 12:33
Sounds to me as though the first step is a battery reset...

First_damned
18th July 2014, 12:46
Then check the plenum and signs of a wet ecu

klarzy
18th July 2014, 12:50
Then check the plenum and signs of a wet ecu

should not be an issue on a petrol...

I agree with 30 min battery reset

T-Cut
18th July 2014, 18:01
should not be an issue on a petrol...

Petrol ECUs tend not to become water damaged like the diesel's, but submerge it and all manner of electrical gremlins are let loose.

TC

klarzy
18th July 2014, 18:11
Petrol ECUs tend not to become water damaged like the diesel's, but submerge it and all manner of electrical gremlins are let loose.

TC

I do know that the petrol ones are sealed and less problematic... the diesels are open in the corners to allow air in for the barometric pressure sensor....
But why does this need to be an issue? surely you can seal up the bottom 2 and one of the top corners, put a small piece of 5mm airline in as a snorkel which would allow the internal pressure to change quite nicely and not have to worry about damp ingress again...

check your drains every now and again and you are laughing...

Stag>75
23rd July 2015, 08:28
I'm putting this into my original thread because I am wondering if it is related. Tonight my car was sitting in the driveway and my wife informed me that my right tail light was on and when I went out I found that my right headlight was also on. I opened the car, turned the lights on and off but it made no difference. I have now disconnected the battery to see what happens.

Any suggestions from anyone as to what this has been caused by?

Steve42
23rd July 2015, 08:34
did you check if your right indicator was down.
may have been you parking lights left on.
one side light and one tail light .
just a thought

Stag>75
23rd July 2015, 08:46
did you check if your right indicator was down.
may have been you parking lights left on.
one side light and one tail light .
just a thought

Definitely the red tail light.

I have just tried to reconnect the battery and the alarm blows. Cannot seem to stop it. What's going on??????

Steve42
23rd July 2015, 08:56
alarm may go off when you put the battery back on.
unlock the car with the key. should stop the alarm going off.

you did say that the front and back light was on but just on one side.
that sounds to me like you had left the car with your parking lights on.

Stag>75
23rd July 2015, 09:02
alarm may go off when you put the battery back on.
unlock the car with the key. should stop the alarm going off.

you did say that the front and back light was on but just on one side.
that sounds to me like you had left the car with your parking lights on.

Car was unlocked, it didn't help.

re: Lights. I drove the car earlier and didn't use the lights. When I opened the car earlier the first thing I checked was the light switch and it was definitely off at that time.

Mike Noc
23rd July 2015, 12:34
As mentioned earlier, it isn't the light switch but the indicator stalk you need to check. It should be on the middle position.

RhinoTourer
23rd July 2015, 21:06
For what it's worth I noticed strange electrical issues when my earth to the starter motor went bad.

Turn the key, rear window wiper would activate.

Repaired the earth, not happened since.

Stag>75
23rd July 2015, 22:06
As mentioned earlier, it isn't the light switch but the indicator stalk you need to check. It should be on the middle position.

I didn't know about this functionality and so had not understood the relevance of the earlier post - I read the owners handbook this morning and saw the references to switching on just one side of the parking lights. Yes the indicator was on. As for the Alarm going off I again read the owners handbook and reset the alarm with the remote as soon as I reconnected the battery.

Steve42
24th July 2015, 09:30
take it all sorted now

Stag>75
24th July 2015, 09:50
take it all sorted now

The only issue was my lack of knowledge.

I do ask the question. I assume this functionality is about safety, is it commonly used in UK/ Europe?