PDA

View Full Version : Can someone please fit a sunroof in my tourer?

MissMoppet
12th August 2014, 09:43
I have owned many cars in my time but not one as satisfying as my R75 diesel tourer: I can't see myself ever selling it. It has all the extras I need EXCEPT for a sunroof. Fitters tell me you cannot retro-fit a sunroof in my car but surely there is someone out there who can? I won't say "money is no object" but I am willing to pay a reasonable sum to achieve my dream. Any offers please?

HarryM1BYT
12th August 2014, 09:57
I have owned many cars in my time but not one as satisfying as my R75 diesel tourer: I can't see myself ever selling it. It has all the extras I need EXCEPT for a sunroof. Fitters tell me you cannot retro-fit a sunroof in my car but surely there is someone out there who can? I won't say "money is no object" but I am willing to pay a reasonable sum to achieve my dream. Any offers please?

I remember someone did it, but fitting an OEM sunroof properly on a finished car would cost an asbolute fortune. The entire roof metal panel would need to be changed.

An after market, low tech one might be possible though. A manually operated one where it unclips at the rear to allow it to tilt. Most can be completely removed then the glass panel stowed in the boot.

Jakg
12th August 2014, 10:08
I remember someone did it, but fitting an OEM sunroof properly on a finished car would cost an asbolute fortune. The entire roof metal panel would need to be changed.

http://www.75ztcommunity.co.uk/after-market-sunroof-t3201.html

Rick-sta
12th August 2014, 10:19

:eek: So it can be done! Something I'd love to do one day. A sunroof is the only thing I wish my ZT had.

mh007
12th August 2014, 10:26
Not an easy task but as said, it has been done.

All of mine, except one, has a sunroof as I tend to use that more than the A/C.

If you opt to have the complete roof panel replaced, I wonder how this will affect your insurance ?

It may be cheaper to replace your Tourer with one that has a sunroof already although you've said you don't want to sell !!

KWIL
12th August 2014, 11:10
I have only ever had a Rover 800 with a sunroof and I would say never again.

Why? The flicker of light as you pass under the street lamps or sunlight through trees I found most disconcerting even when the shield was in place, apart from that A/C is much better and less noisy.

kaiser
12th August 2014, 11:14
It might be wiser to buy a car with the sun roof already there.

Rovering
12th August 2014, 11:29
All my 'fleet', bar one, have a sunroof.
Personally, i am not really bothered with them. The only time I have enjoyed it was in my '88 Sterling 800. The airco had stopped working, and having the sunroof titled up certainly helped with air movement/extraction.
Different countries and weather probably impact, but for me......not a necessity!
Graeme

MissMoppet
12th August 2014, 13:58

Ye Gods and little fishes. What a performance! I think I get the message. Drive my Stag more - with the roof off.

Arctic
12th August 2014, 14:20
I thought all the R75 under the roof lining had the section ready for a sunroof to be fitted :shrug: I could be wrong below is a pic I took a while back of a R75 with roof lining removed and saw this.

Grumpy1
12th August 2014, 15:29
Further to Arctic's reply, I'm sure a couple of winters ago, someone posted a picture of their sun-roof-free saloon after a frost and the outline of where a sunroof would fit could be clearly seen. :shrug:

Chad. :}

colintf
12th August 2014, 16:03
Could webasto fit an electric sliding sunroof to our cars??? :cool:

brgcdti
12th August 2014, 16:11
These are nice quality ones and of course Webasto made the one fitted to the 75 :
http://www.webasto.com/int/markets-products/car/

marinabrian
12th August 2014, 16:11
Could webasto fit an electric sliding sunroof to our cars??? :cool:

I don't see why not, the OE sunroof is Webasto ;)

Do you mean the fabric type roof Colin :shrug:

Brian :D

suzublu
12th August 2014, 16:16
Save some money & get a set of Heko deflectors;):D all four for less than your link:}

Organiser
12th August 2014, 16:55

Hi,

A Webasto Hollandia 730 will fit your Tourer and it will look the same as the OE one that was fitted by Rover.

South West Sunroofs, Manor Farm, Beercrocombe, Taunton, TA3 6AJ. Tel 07850 306304 or email [email protected]

Tom.

ProfDave
12th August 2014, 16:59
how about an electric webasto; might look a tad weird but would allow allot of fresh air in; I had one put in a mini cooper and it was really good

ProfDave
12th August 2014, 17:00
Hi,

A Webasto Hollandia 730 will fit your Tourer and it will look the same as the OE one that was fitted by Rover.

Contact Webasto for the price and someone to fit it.

Tom.

Doh; typing simultaneously; yes mine was put in by Webasto near Halesowen

colintf
13th August 2014, 04:15
I don't see why not, the OE sunroof is Webasto ;)

Do you mean the fabric type roof Colin :shrug:

Brian :D

No glass tilt and slide

My concern has always been how does the water drain away??
Are the sunroof drains already in place and do they use them??
:cool:

HarryM1BYT
13th August 2014, 10:00
No glass tilt and slide

My concern has always been how does the water drain away??
Are the sunroof drains already in place and do they use them??

After market sunroofs rely upon being a complete seal to the roof, original fit ones have a drain in each corner.

I have known after market ones leak, it is very difficult to get a perfect seal, which is why the OEM ones do not try too hard.

MissMoppet
13th August 2014, 12:37
Hi,

South West Sunroofs, Manor Farm, Beercrocombe, Taunton, TA3 6AJ. Tel 07850 306304 or email [email protected]

Tom.

Many thanks for that. I did contact Nigel at S W Sunroofs a year ago when I first bought the car but he said it couldn't be done. However . . . . Webasto have recently brought out one with a strengthened frame which will go in. See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwZU6vOMrMQ. Cost about £1500. (Incidentally his email is [email protected]. tel no. is as above.)
Next problem, how to convince The Wife that we need one. Ideas in a plain envelope please.

colintf
13th August 2014, 19:47
Many thanks for that. I did contact Nigel at S W Sunroofs a year ago when I first bought the car but he said it couldn't be done. However . . . . Webasto have recently brought out one with a strengthened frame which will go in. See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwZU6vOMrMQ. Cost about £1500. (Incidentally his email is [email protected]. tel no. is as above.)
Next problem, how to convince The Wife that we need one. Ideas in a plain envelope please.

That's the kind I was thinking of

Water leaks would be my worry

So miss not having a sunroof in the cdti :mad: