PDA

View Full Version : How much is too much !!!

carlpenn
19th April 2008, 21:41
I was cleaning my car the other day when, after spending 25 minutes with a packet of Cotton Ear buds and cleaning the edges of the Chrome trim where dried polish collects, around the Washer Jets on the Bonnet and Bumper and then carefully cleaning the grime along the tops of the doors where the lower window rubber and chrome strips are (again with a Cotton Ear Bud), I began to wonder, have I become obsessed with the ultimate finish..........

I even Polish and Wax the Drain Channels around the Boot Lid and Bonnet, in fact, if there is Visible Paint, it gets Polished........

Have I really become self obsessed or am I just thorough and a proud 75 owner.......??

Answers on a Postcard to .............lol

deano78
20th April 2008, 09:23
nothing wrong with looking after your motor. as for being OCD? start getting worried when you take the wheels off to clean them.

empsburna
20th April 2008, 13:54
door/bonnet shuts are often neglected - good on ya I say!

stevemac
20th April 2008, 14:18
nothing wrong with looking after your motor. as for being OCD? start getting worried when you take the wheels off to clean them.

Took my wheels off last week to clean them! My wife tells me that she is going to use that as evidence of unreasonable behaviour if we ever get divorced!

Christopher
20th April 2008, 14:25
Took my wheels off last week to clean them! My wife tells me that she is going to use that as evidence of unreasonable behaviour if we ever get divorced!

I must admit that I have considered it ... although there may be hope yet as I never actually give in to the temptation (too much work!) :)

Duotone
20th April 2008, 15:36

Sounds perfectly normal behaviour for a Rover 75 owner, took my wheels off the other week for a good clean.
I think quite few more of us 75 owners do this but dont like to admit it.

Dave T

carlpenn
20th April 2008, 18:14

Ahem............:getmecoat:

I havent done so yet as I need a decent set of Axle Stands for Support, but before the meet I intend to fully clean and treat the inner and outer wheels. All that hard work does get spoiled by brake dust running through the openings of teh wheels :(

kevin
21st April 2008, 05:24
thanks carlpenn. I was going to put a post up asking how you clean the dried polish from the chrome trim. now I know

trebor
21st April 2008, 06:01
I was cleaning my car the other day when, after spending 25 minutes with a packet of Cotton Ear buds and cleaning the edges of the Chrome trim where dried polish collects, around the Washer Jets on the Bonnet and Bumper and then carefully cleaning the grime along the tops of the doors where the lower window rubber and chrome strips are (again with a Cotton Ear Bud), I began to wonder, have I become obsessed with the ultimate finish..........

I even Polish and Wax the Drain Channels around the Boot Lid and Bonnet, in fact, if there is Visible Paint, it gets Polished........

Have I really become self obsessed or am I just thorough and a proud 75 owner.......??

Answers on a Postcard to .............lol

Carl,

look on e bay for a detailing brush, only a couple of quid and removes polish from crevaces etc.

carlpenn
21st April 2008, 06:55
Carl,

look on e bay for a detailing brush, only a couple of quid and removes polish from crevaces etc.

Thanks - I will have a look tomorrow or later tonight - On an all day course today and then work tonight, so haven't got time :)

carlpenn
21st April 2008, 07:00
thanks carlpenn. I was going to put a post up asking how you clean the dried polish from the chrome trim. now I know

Kevin there are probably easier ways, I just tend to work with what I have.

Up until Trebors post above, I thought the best way was with a Cotton Ear Bud however, I will have a look at these Detailing Brushes (Probably wont look as insane using a Brush instead of an Ear Bud :p:)

I use anything I can - I have a clean small sized paint brush, to sweep dust from the "Hard to reach" areas and I also use the Cotton Ear Buds to clear dirt etc from the Trim Creases and joins inside the Car.

Just remember though, as long as it is non abrasive it is ok :D Dont be using a scourer to scrub sticky stuff off your leather seats and so on.....:p:

I am very, very pleased with the Finish I get on my Car, have a look here at the Water Resistance on teh Cars Bonnet and Roof:

THREAD (http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=19365)

Jürgen
21st April 2008, 10:48
start getting worried when you take the wheels off to clean them.
How on earth can you clean the wheels properly without taking them off? :shrug:

I take the wheels off, put them into plastic bags, throw them into the boot and drive them to the car wash, where they get a special treatment ... :D

:panic:

Well, ahem, that took place on the day I changed from summer to winter tyres last year. ;)

baxlin
21st April 2008, 13:36

Do they still make those brake dust protector thingies? A disc-like thing that fitted between the wheel and the disc, to stop brake dust getting onto the wheel? Haven't seen them for years - probably didn't work................

Jürgen
21st April 2008, 13:45
I worry that they would interfere with the cooling of the brake discs.

deano78
21st April 2008, 13:50
Do they still make those brake dust protector thingies? A disc-like thing that fitted between the wheel and the disc, to stop brake dust getting onto the wheel? Haven't seen them for years - probably didn't work................

not sure on those malcolm, i use chemical guys wheels guard. it lasts for ages and makes the wheel a doddle to clean.

kevin
21st April 2008, 14:29

I got a pair last week pig to put on and dont think I will put them back when I have to take the wheels off but they do work.

as for are they sill being made the date on the box for 1992.

Jontie
21st April 2008, 17:11
Hi,
I've never even considered taking the wheels off any previous car I've had to clean them, BUT, strangely enough, I've decided that I'm doing just that this weekend. I'm giving her the full treatment before I go down to Brighton at the end of the month. I've just got it back after having some minor damage repaired and I've neglected it a bit since it was damaged. I just couldn't find the enthusiasm.

Simon
21st April 2008, 20:43
Obsessed? Pah! I not only took my wheels off and cleaned them but also cleaned the tyres then I cleaned the wheel arches plus all suspension/steering appendages. I then got the Back-to-Black and re-blacked all the wheel arch liners.... and that was only part of a three-day valeting marathon :D :getmecoat:

windrush
21st April 2008, 20:52
Hi,
I've never even considered taking the wheels off any previous car I've had to clean them, BUT, strangely enough, I've decided that I'm doing just that this weekend. I'm giving her the full treatment before I go down to Brighton at the end of the month. I've just got it back after having some minor damage repaired and I've neglected it a bit since it was damaged. I just couldn't find the enthusiasm.
Nether mind Brighton what about our 6th national meet atBEAULIEU

Jürgen
22nd April 2008, 16:45
.... and that was only part of a three-day valeting marathon :D :getmecoat:

What? You don't give yourself enough time? You just rush through? Simon, I can't believe that! :D

:eek:

http://www.r75.info/modules/Forums/images/smiles/flucht.gif