PDA

View Full Version : What to look for on 75/ZT

Kandyman
2nd November 2006, 02:50
What to look for

It is said that the 75s produced by MG Rover at Longbridge are better than those built by BMW at Oxford, and the handling is superior, too. The easiest way to distinguish a Longbridge example is that they have body-coloured sills rather than the Oxford-made cars' black ones.

Checklist
* Interior: cabin can suffer water ingress (causing ECU problems), although this is fixed in later cars by a redesigned drainage system. Check drain points - there's one on each side, plus a centre one at the base of the pollen filter and ECU.

* Electrics: ensure everything works, as problems are known. Be especially wary of SRS connector to seat, which can lead to the airbags failing; dealers can eradicate fault by retro-fitting revised connectors.

* Engines: the 2.0 diesel and 2.5 V6 petrol units are reliable, but head gasket failure is known on 1.8 petrols because of low coolant capacity. Small leaks soon lead to overheating - the weakest point is the water-heated inlet manifold gasket.

* Keys: make sure you get two keys and test them both when you buy the car, and check neither of them has broken. Replacing them could cost you up to £150 apiece by the time the necessary reprogramming has been carried out.

* Tyres: rubber often wears unevenly, especially at the rear. Some cars had cars had misaligned suspension when new. Check back tyre wear on early models; best solution is to get a four-wheel alignment done. Front coil springs also prone to breaking.

Recalls
March 2000: Engine may cut out while the vehicle is being driven (Feb 1998-Oct 1999 cars).
July 2002: Front suspension spring problems (Dec 1998-Oct 1999 cars).
May 2004: Possible damage and deflation of tyre due to road spring (Oct 1999-Feb 2002 cars).

Thanks to http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/ for the Information

Keith
5th November 2006, 10:42
Ooooo that will set the cat amongst the pigeons

The Cowley brigade will retaliate with a barrage or real wood veneer's no project drive related parts missing better suspension (so I am told)

The ZT guys will say nothing as it does not apply to them although a bit of drive did :)

We as Mods of the forum couldn't possible decide one way or another ;)

But some of us have the best of both worlds, pre drive vintage early Longbridge. Sounds like a fine wine in the making doesn't it!

No, not gearbox 'Whine' :D

Commodore
5th November 2006, 11:55
Hi Keith

Ooooo that will set the cat amongst the pigeons
The Cowley brigade will retaliate with a barrage or real wood veneer's no project drive related parts missing better suspension (so I am told)
I thought the Longbridge 75's had the better suspension - and the better handling?

Keith
5th November 2006, 12:18
By better I mean from a ride perspective and only based on things Brad was saying I think he mentioned the early 2.0V6 had a different suspension setup

I could be completely wrong though!

shifter
5th November 2006, 12:52
Hey-At least they were both built in ENGLAND!!!:drool4:

JP53
5th November 2006, 15:21
Hey-At least they were both built in ENGLAND!!!:drool4:

YES, and they don't have a BMW badge on :lol:

Phil
5th November 2006, 15:28
What to look for

* Keys: make sure you get both master and ignition keys when you buy the car, and check neither of them has broken. Replacing them could cost you up to £150 apiece by the time the necessary reprogramming has been carried out.

Thanks to http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/ for the Information

They have master keys? I've only got two regular keys! Do they have learning keys then?!

Mike
5th November 2006, 15:44
They have master keys? I've only got two regular keys! Do they have learning keys then?!

No the cars don't. It's a Yahoo foul up :) If you've got 2 keys then you are fully equipped.

hth

Mike :)

Commodore
5th November 2006, 15:58
YES, and they don't have a BMW badge on :lol:
Better still - if you look at the interior light inside your boot (on the saloons at least, don't know about the tourer) said light actually has the old 1980s Austin Rover logo on it!!!!

Chris

JP53
5th November 2006, 16:22
Better still - if you look at the interior light inside your boot (on the saloons at least, don't know about the tourer) said light actually has the old 1980s Austin Rover logo on it!!!!

Chris

Well I never knew that. I bet they are the ones they used as interior lights.

Commodore
5th November 2006, 17:41
Well I never knew that. I bet they are the ones they used as interior lights.
Yep - that's the one.

Basically the interior light used in my first Metro (circa 1986) is now being used as the internal boot light in my 75.

Chris

JP53
5th November 2006, 19:19
Yep - that's the one.

Basically the interior light used in my first Metro (circa 1986) is now being used as the internal boot light in my 75.

Chris

Look how long the switch gear in the 200/400 25/45 range soldiered on for. You can't say that MGR did not utilize everything!

Kandyman
20th November 2006, 21:36
*cough

i was wondering if any one had anything to add to "what to look out for" for new car owners/members to read.

Add any infor you think will help and i'll add it to the top of the list :)

GreyGhost
20th November 2006, 21:39
2 keys seems to be fairly popular at the moment. With spares coming in at well over a hundred squids.

Should have read first, silly me, cancel the worms above. :)

Simon
20th November 2006, 21:49
A few people (me included) have noticed rust on their cars. Could be usefull to look out for as the warranty for anti-corrosion has obviously expired.

Potential desiel-buyers should check the functioning of the auxillary heater / FBH (where fitted).

Vis-Valve problems should be listened out for on test-drives.

Low/Weak batteries should be pointed out by potential buyers (they should push for a new one to be fitted prior to purchase) as they can lead to funny electrical problems.

Did someone mention keys? ;)

yp53
20th November 2006, 22:07
Kandyman said: "The easiest way to distinguish a Longbridge example is that they have body-coloured sills rather than the Oxford-made cars' black ones."

Not quite true - the last Cowley models actually had body coloured sills too. I bought my first 75 when they were transferring production and had a hell of a job getting the spec I wanted from the existing (Cowley produced) stock. Eventually got one from SMC (X817BCF if I remember correctly - I still see it in around Barrow) - Club SE CDT in Copperleaf with Copperleaf sills and bumper skirts.

Sorry to be pedantic..

Jules
11th December 2008, 16:13
Just rejuvenating this Andy as I've just been asked by a customer what to look for / Checklist when buying a ZT 190 KV6.

There must be a more comprehensive list than this somewhere?
But where?:weihnacht2:

pondweed
11th December 2008, 17:49
there is a 'what to look for' idea that has gone onto the 'green' people for further consideration. I've started a draft off for 'diesel' as something to go to some others to develop/add.
But early days. Think there are lots of others devts further up the list!

Jules
11th December 2008, 18:17
The problem is putting together a "balanced" list so as not to put prospective owners off!!

I wouldn't own 3 myself if I didn't believe in these great cars.
Trouble is, looking through the forums, one tends to get a warped impression of things like HGF's Fuel pumps fans etc.

For every ONE failed fuel pump or gasket, there must be 2000 that have not failed etc. The debate will soldier on I'm sure:lipsrsealed:

pondweed
11th December 2008, 18:46
I was thinking about this driving the Berlingo tonight.

I feel slightly distanced from good value knowledgeable automotive labour at the moment. And it is a great pressure. My 2004 car is a superficially excellent but has a list of things that need attending to as long as my arm.

I honest couldn't recommend anyone buying a 75 unless they are 'enthusiast' and have a suitable Jules or Keith within 25 miles, however lovely. There are too many lovable bloopers which we all chuckle about... but that would try the patience and wallet of a normal individual.