PDA

View Full Version : Apparently I'm wasting my time and money!!!

Mr_Shed
1st September 2014, 22:29
Why is it people seem to think you need to have a new car on the drive and be doing what everyone else is?

Had parents other day blasting me about wasting my money on an old car and why put all this time and effort into something you never get your money back on. Try explaining it's not about making money but enjoyment of doing it etc etc, waste of time lol.

Had couple of other people say your wasting your time too, although they all say what a nice car it is.

On balance though most people pay compliments and say it's nice to see a car with character etc still.

For me it's not just about the car, it kept my head straight when I needed a constant in my life and I have learnt many aspects of the vehicle through this forum etc. the best has been friendships made and the company of like minded people, so I'm obviously not alone lol :)

Jordan Apex
1st September 2014, 22:34
Haha, same here, not that I care for people's opinions, just get bored of the repetition :duh: If you like it do it :D

kentish
1st September 2014, 22:54
well all cars are a waste in theory-new cars shed thousands in deprecation , far more than you will spend keeping an old/er car on the road-so you might as well stick to one you like. That's my view.

Simondi
1st September 2014, 23:03
Why worry what others think? So long as you are happy that's all that matters:D

Dorset Bob
1st September 2014, 23:06
Hang on in there Tony. :D
Let them pay £1000s per year and drive inferior, rapidly deprecating cars to keep up with the Jones next door. ;)

Dragrad
1st September 2014, 23:11
For all its foibles and problems, I love my "uprated" Classic :} It matters not what others think, it's what you enjoy driving that counts.

Newer cars may claim to be better etc, but to me, nothing beats my car for the comfort, and the pleasure of driving :D

Saw a chap in town the other day driving an old Triumph 13/60 Herald convertible, owned from near new (2nd owner), and still loves to drive it, albeit he only uses it in the summer now:} Said he hated the winters but did like the heating on the Focus (his other car) :eek::D

Rovering
2nd September 2014, 01:04
Haaaaa....I can relate to that.
I am 51 years young, and it still get nagged at by my 74 year old Mother about the money I "waste" on my err umm old cars!
Graeme

Astraeus
2nd September 2014, 06:02
Haaaaa....I can relate to that.
I am 51 years young, and it still get nagged at by my 74 year old Mother about the money I "waste" on my err umm old cars!
Graeme

Indeed, I think my son thinks I am off my head. Doesn't get it. You have to own them to appreciate the fun and fantastic drive they give.

:bowdown:

Chris

Peaklander
2nd September 2014, 06:10
I taxed the 75 this month, and started using it straight away. After the gear box rebuild, I was a little apprehensive. Went to meet some friends for a meal last night, and when we came out it just stood out so well amongst boring modern stuff. It looked great. I'm happy with it, let the sheep follow one another and blow ridiculous amounts on inferior build quality vehicles!!

coab
2nd September 2014, 06:11
A chap said to me yesterday why do you drive those cars you are mad on when your next breakdown wont be far away!:eek: Ive only broken down twice in 3 years first was the engine going bang and second the clutch gave up on me. I said its a hobby and owning these cars you get to meet decent folk and why would I want a Focus etc that everyone drives?
My parents are always telling me to get something else to spend my hard earned on but I just pretend I cant hear.:D

Leyland Worldmaster
2nd September 2014, 06:18
As has already been said, who cares what others think?* My family were quite different when I changed cars last time round; they said similar things about an old Peugeot however. The reaction to the departure of the Rover was broadly similar to the one seen when a family pet is put down; in fact I don't think my Father has forgiven me. The my current car is gaining acceptance slowly... Keep plugging away at it; they're great cars with a real personality!:) *Unless people like it of course!

Saga Lout
2nd September 2014, 07:05
Why is it people seem to think you need to have a new car on the drive and be doing what everyone else is?

Had parents other day blasting me about wasting my money on an old car and why put all this time and effort into something you never get your money back on. Try explaining it's not about making money but enjoyment of doing it etc etc, waste of time lol.

Had couple of other people say your wasting your time too, although they all say what a nice car it is.

On balance though most people pay compliments and say it's nice to see a car with character etc still.

For me it's not just about the car, it kept my head straight when I needed a constant in my life and I have learnt many aspects of the vehicle through this forum etc. the best has been friendships made and the company of like minded people, so I'm obviously not alone lol :)
It seems like I'm going to be wasting money hand over fist then, my ZT is coming home soon, and I'm going to be getting more than a bit silly with it. The car is going to be treated to a lot of TLC and it's going to cost, I have to do it in stages but I don't care as long as I get the results. If people think I'm mad then that's their opinion. The same people swoon over the Cortinas, they were once worthless too.

brgcdti
2nd September 2014, 07:19
A well looked after older car has always impressed me much more than just a new car. After all the majority of new cars are not privately purchased, just another company car . I belong to another car club which over more recent years seems to have more and more members who just buy a new car to belong to the club and have knowledge or real interest in the cars just the socializing aspect.
Let them waste their money I say :D

mh007
2nd September 2014, 07:23
As already said, i've lost count how many times people (mainly family it has to be said !) have tried to give me their worldy (hardly) advice about spending money on these old cars etc etc.

Have I listened to them ?......................nah, of course not !

If you don't love cars, then you just won't understand & it's as simple as that.

My missus thinks i'm barmy driving hundreds of miles to find parts for my other classics but she does appreciate that it's a passion even though she isn't really 'in to' cars.

Some people see a car as a means of getting from A to B, others see them as a work of art.

For the people who think a car is just a car, they don't know what they're missing !!!

SirRustalot
2nd September 2014, 07:27
Interesting debate. My folks love the idea that I sold my much newer Audi and got something that harked back to being a 'proper' car. My mates think I'm nuts but my wife and I love our 75. My neighbours: the older ones love it in our drive but the younger lads don't understand. I'm middle-aged - I should have a Porsche or Audi TT.

Quite often, usually at petrol stations, older chaps wander over and pay compliments and the garage that does my MOTs think it's beautiful. Mind you, I keep it spotless as, otherwise, it's just another old car on the road.

Passed a grey 75 saloon yesterday in Aberdeen on the way back to Edinburgh. We understood each other. A bit like walking along in a barren desert buff-naked except wearing a bow tie, bumping into another chap, also naked but wearing a bow tie, and ignoring that we're the only two naked blokes in a desert, yet, with a knowing nod, celebrating our taste in fine neckwear.

Weso
2nd September 2014, 07:52
Your so right Tony, my cars are the one constant in my life at the moment, have been for 2 years and in conjuction with this forum have got me through some dark times.
Quite a few friendships formed through the forum too.

Going forward it's likely to come down to Cars or Women, at the moment the cars are less demanding:D

BigAde
2nd September 2014, 08:17
If you like the car then why not, they're no more expensive than any other car of a similar age and as you don't have to worry about depreciation then IMHO it's money well spent. But more to the point replace it with what? I can't think of any other car new or second-hand that I would replace it my ZT with, not for less than ten grand anyway....

I spent too many years listening to people who claim they know about cars. I've now learnt to trust my own judgement more. People round here in the south-east tend to only be impressed by modern cars, usually the ubiquitous and monochrome BMW, Audi or Mercedes.

Rick-sta
2nd September 2014, 08:20
My family is actually the opposite. We never buy brand new cars. And never ever buy a car on finance! The newest car we have in the close family is a Audi a7 which is on a 11 plate which my uncle bought as the second owner.

You lose so much money on a new car, its just not worth it. Best time to buy one is when it's a couple of years old as the biggest loss in depreciation is already taken by the previous owner and you usually still have warranty left on the car.

On the other hand, my partner and her family seem to religiously buy brand new cars at the moment. She bought a new Hyundai i20 last year (think it was around £14k) on finance. Last week she was rear ended unfortunately and the car's written off. Had a look online at the best market value she will get for it, and £8k was the I could find. Loss of £6k in value in it's first year!

I never understand why people can't see how much they lose when buying a new car. To me it's obvious but then again I am an Accountant :D

HarryM1BYT
2nd September 2014, 08:20

I have never understood that attitude to life.

While the car I have, is able to do the job I need it to do and does it in a reliable and economical way, I'm happy with it.

I can afford new, I don't want one - why would I? This car, like all of its predecessors is as cheap as chips to keep on the road and doing the job it was designed and bought to do. I didn't need to invest a bundle of money into it, haven't suffered massive depreciation, have been forced to pay big servicing charges, just to maintain the warranty for a possibly iffy stamp in a book.

A small proportion of what my old car has saved me, went into toys and tools, allowing me to do the work myself and know the work has been done and done properly. What's not to like?

scoubix
2nd September 2014, 08:36
Well I've stopped counting the money I've put into my own car, most of it going into accessories and other improvements, such as paint jobs for instance. The only "needed" thing I've done so far is the annual servicing and replacement of the rear silencer.
There are just different kinds of attitude towards cars : most people see their car as a tool, needed to go from A to B for lack of a better option, and don't care about the make of their car, its performance or value, its overall condition, etc...I'm just glad I don't belong in that category. To each his own...

BigAde
2nd September 2014, 08:41

A sad state of affairs - but so true. It's mostly down to image. People want to appear 'successful' or to have 'made it'. It's like making a statement for the world to see that "I'm successful and here's the car to prove it", ironically most are on finance. For others it's down to the perception that older cars will be unreliable and a money pit and that only a modern car will be hassle free and reliable.

A colleague of mine used to moan that he couldn't get on the housing ladder because he couldn't get a deposit together. I pointed out that he was driving around in a new car worth £15k and his wife had a car worth £12k.

Beena wild
2nd September 2014, 08:42

Where we're going we don't need roads we glide...:p:

rich17865
2nd September 2014, 08:49
Wasting money on an old car?

For what it cost me in total, it is 2 months payment for a new car.

They are mad wasting money on these rubbish new cars with their depreciation and huge repair bills, the fools.

Sector-9
2nd September 2014, 08:56
I've been a Rover man for a while now, having found them to be under-rated and vastly better than the Fords and stuff of the same vintage. Even so, although I've only owned my first 75 for a month, I've actually thought of buying another one as well, probably a 2.5 auto. Madness of course, and I still have the fear that with the complexity of these vehicles it'll break in expensive or unfixable ways unlike the 45 I've got which has been very reliable and the parts it has needed have all been cheap.

The 45 is more fun to drive IMHO, and cheaper to run, but for cruising the motorways I don't think I've been in anything better than the 75 and that includes brand new company cars.

Woof25
2nd September 2014, 09:02
I can only agree with other members comments about their cars,being at a meet and seeing how much time and effort has been put into preparing for the meet, the embellishments they have made. The time to talk exchange info rod a few plenums for members or show off the aqua inserts to stop leaves all of it accompanied by a drink and a sociable meal together,what is better even on those cold rainy days the cars turn up and members huddle together for a laugh and grumble about the weather!.

So to all those who grumble or moan about useless old cars I say buy one and be seduced by its beauty comfort and style :} and join us is preserving these wonderful cars.:D

HarryM1BYT
2nd September 2014, 09:08
A sad state of affairs - but so true. It's mostly down to image. People want to appear 'successful' or to have 'made it'. It's like making a statement for the world to see that "I'm successful and here's the car to prove it", ironically most are on finance. For others it's down to the perception that older cars will be unreliable and a money pit and that only a modern car will be hassle free and reliable.

The only one I ever set out to impress, has been myself and to be honest I'm easily impressed.

topman
2nd September 2014, 09:17
I've not had too many comments, one way or the other. No negatives and a handful of positives.

A lot of people where I work have new cars. I don't think that it's a matter of showing off more like they want to treat themselves with something nice a bit of a treat if you like.

Ricwin
2nd September 2014, 09:30
My father has been blasting my choice of cars for years after I ditched BMW in favour of some good old MG Rover.
He's an Audi fan and currently drives an A6, and although its a nice car, its very much like BMW: Dull and lifeless, no personality at all
In his effort to push me away from MGR, he has even suggested I get a new Vaux Adam on £99 per month. I considered it simply for reliability aspect but still, its not an MG with a V6 in the front.

Avora
2nd September 2014, 09:41
I've had the laughs and comments about the 75, anyone being negative has always walked away tail between their legs wishing they had seen the light.

My dad has a 59 Jeep Commander, bought brand new. It has been nothing but troublesome, and still only has as many toys as my £500 Connie SE. He wanted a 75 when MGR went under but couldn't get the same spec locally.

I tend to get a lot of "offft, that V6 sounds nice". The loud exhaust seems to please.

I'm confident I won't be buying any new car in the future. Probably a ZTT, maybe a V8 for weekend joy.

strambo
2nd September 2014, 10:14
I've never hhad any negative comments about thhe car, most like it. It's not expensive to run, I have a local mechanic who is good and very reasonable with rices etc. He loves the car, he is from Poland, perhaps eastern europeans have a different perspective on older/classic cars. Judging by Rover facebook (horror) there is llots of interest from that region, Poland, Bulgaria, Romania etc.

ravingfool
2nd September 2014, 10:55
some amusing reading on this thread!

I've never worried too much about what other people think, certainly not about what car I drive - who cares so long as I'm happy! (I also have an mx5 and am not a hairdresser!)

I do like interesting cars though and I think an MG ZT is pretty interesting; it's also quite reasonable to drive and has lots of other positive aspects. Frankly I've only ever had positive comments about it and it's sufficiently different to all the beige-mobiles on the road that the majority of people don't know what it is and whilst they might have no interest in buying one themselves they seem to react positively towards it.

It's a bit like owning a proper classic or exotic car oddly, even though these cars are definitely neither of those things nor are they even expensive!

I get almost as many comments on the ZT as I used to get in the rx8 or my classic mgb gt.

The only negative comments come from people who mock the idea of a 2.5 v6 as being a waste of money. There aren't a lot of legs in that argument though when you consider how little the actual car cost me; there's plenty of petrol money left over before I get anywhere near the cost of a comparable car.

Stag>75
2nd September 2014, 11:04
When I was looking for a 75 my wife said "Is this going to be another Stag?" Well the answer is that as an older man it is something that gives me similar pleasure but has actually cost a lot less in maintenance.

My mother used to tell me that I have "car disease".

I find the balance is in maintaining a newish car (Honda CRV) as the family car. Utterly dependable.

But when I drive in the 75 with the sunroof open ..... :)

maxi_crawf
2nd September 2014, 12:34
Of course the good thing is that as long as a lot of people think they are ****, we in the know get a bargain ;) long may it continue :D
then of course the first time you give someone a lift in the Mighty Rover (or MG) they glance round and go "ooh, this is nice" and run their fingers over the woodwork.

Beena wild
2nd September 2014, 12:37
Of course the good thing is that as long as a lot of people think they are ****, we in the know get a bargain ;) long may it continue :D
then of course the first time you give someone a lift in the Mighty Rover (or MG) they glance round and go "ooh, this is nice" and run their fingers over the woodwork.

Sorry, ?

oh the dash woodwork.... yes of course :p:

AURORA MG
2nd September 2014, 13:57
In 50 years time when Governments have turned us & everything into clones folk may read this thread & wish......................

Aerobat
2nd September 2014, 14:12
I knew the second that I had a Connoisseur SE 75 brought from the UK that I would never get back what I was prepared to put into it. Before the car even was registered in The Netherlands I had already purchased items in preparation of upgrading it.
Every cent I gave to make this car what it is now was worth it. This was in no way supposed to be a profitable financial investement for me.
I love this car so the money was well spent.

Aerobat
2nd September 2014, 14:20
I've been a Rover man for a while now, having found them to be under-rated and vastly better than the Fords and stuff of the same vintage. Even so, although I've only owned my first 75 for a month, I've actually thought of buying another one as well, probably a 2.5 auto. Madness of course, and I still have the fear that with the complexity of these vehicles it'll break in expensive or unfixable ways unlike the 45 I've got which has been very reliable and the parts it has needed have all been cheap.

The 45 is more fun to drive IMHO, and cheaper to run, but for cruising the motorways I don't think I've been in anything better than the 75 and that includes brand new company cars.

I also drive a 45 and I think that this car a classy mini 75. The 1.8 can be very smooth and refined if you run the OEM exhaust and do the regular maintenance. There is so much space in the engine bay to reach nearly everything.
My Conoisseur 45 has piles of options and looks amazing when polished up. It is by no means a 75 but it surely does corner better and is solid for relaibility if taken care of.

ceedy
2nd September 2014, 15:00
Reckon its easier to waste ;) more money on a new car nowadays .

get anything back nah!! .. with the modern equiv of our cars, by the time it reaches its MOT, you probaby lost the thick end of 14 grand ( 6-7 good 75/zts's :D ) in depreciation ..:duh:

Nearly new maybe m but new ... not for me !!

:getmecoat:

C.

Sidetops
2nd September 2014, 18:13
I've mentioned before that I sell new Fords for a living, and the depreciation is horrendous! One customer bought a brand new Ford Focus Zetec in 2011 - new shape - for his wife at a cost of £16000. Two years later his wife decided to buy an Audi, and the customer asked if we were interested in buying the focus back. Its value?? £8000 - and he accepted!

Has anyones car cost £8000 (excluding petrol, tax, servicing and insurance) over 2 years on here?

This is the reason I'd never buy a new car!

seancar
2nd September 2014, 18:31
I would never say anyones wasting there money I have projects all over the place, people say why did you buy that pile of **** but its my choice I am happy if not I would not buy them.
But one thing I will say I like to have a new car as well, we will have another one next year. Its nice not to have the worries its under warranty. Its nice to have a car that does 50 plus to the gallon everywhere. And tracey and the kids go out all the time in it. Gives you some peace of mind,

Mr_Shed
2nd September 2014, 19:27
Looks like I'm not the only one, which I knew anyway as can be seen in the forum how we pamper or hobby/projects. I understand for some a car is just another tool etc to be used until it's no good or replaced with something 'superior'.

I updated my cost plan on car and found I had spent lot money but on the average per month it's less than half what u be paying a month for something equivalent new.

I have always enjoyed working on things be land rovers, jeeps, tractors or industrial forklifts etc. I get lot pleasure out of getting things to work again and to a good condition too.

The MG has truely bitten me with 'car disease' and have gone from getting it working to making the most of it. The ZT I own is special as I found out through forum, not as in its a one off but limited paint work and interior etc. it's not better than other peoples but it's nice I can show it at a meet and it gets recognition, which in an odd way please me too.

As I mentioned and others have alluded too, it hasn't been a path that's been easy past few years but my car and I have taken a journey of discovery together not only learning our weaknesses but our strengths too. It has been tough at times but we are both here and all the better for our trip together. How could that be a waste of time or money. :).

Bloomers
2nd September 2014, 19:34
It could be a lot worse. I bought my sapphire cos in 2007, spent £10k on it over 5 years, then sold it for £1600 more than I originally paid. :duh:
But would i change a thing? definatly not :D

Just glad i have my ZTT now, for some frugal, budget motoring lol

HarryM1BYT
2nd September 2014, 21:27
Has anyones car cost £8000 (excluding petrol, tax, servicing and insurance) over 2 years on here?

This is the reason I'd never buy a new car!

I paid £4K near 5 years ago, spent around £1k bringing it up to scratch, plus few luxuries and nowt much since. It now owes me nowt.

I've never bought a new car, just for my own private use, I wouldn't get the value back. This 75 I have kept longer I think, than any other car I've bought and I still have no even vague plans to change it.

Avulon
2nd September 2014, 21:46
A work colleague, who's ran the same ford focus for the past five years, where it's needed nothing major, just the usual servicing, tyres etc. Hardly ever washed or cleaned it, but still kept going and engine still seemed as good as a ford could be. Just traded it for something 'newer' a 4 yr old Ka with 10k on the clock for ......£6K! and he only got £300 for the perfectly good focus which only needed a good valet.

He asked me what I thought to his 'new' car, although I like him I had to confess that for £6k I'd spend half of that on something big, thirsty and fast and spend the other £3k on the fuel and really enjoy myself! I can barely imagine what my last weekend would have been like - Northampton - Middlesboro - Gateshead - Middlesboro - Gateshead - South Shields - Gateshead - Middlesboro - Northampton ... phew! In a Ka? no thanks.

Several other colleagues seem convinced that a new or newish car on finance every few years is the way to go. They all loose between £2k and £4k a year on their cars but even when I point them at calculating total cost of ownership per mile (then point out that my 75 cdt costs 22p a mile) they still seem to stick their heads in the mud even when they can see that they're spending over 60p /mile in some cases :shrug:. And does the 75 break down any more often than any other 'newer' car? No it doesn't.

Oh, and just remembered whilst out earlier I had 149999 on the clock so will now be over 150,000 miles on it. :D

johnnyb44
2nd September 2014, 22:00
So the alternative is to buy a new car.
What happens then ? Ummmm you wash it once a week and pay off the extortionate finance on it. Its new so it isn't going to go wrong , oh and don't forget to give that beautiful airfix plastic dash a wipe over. Yawn Yawn Yawn
On the other hand you could buy a fantastically sculptured 75 that you will look back at everytime you walk away from it. Pay a one off payment because there ridiculously cheap and something that will give you great satisfaction in polishing it on a Sunday morning and that dash!! oo err missis. It will keep you entertained with its mysterious problems ( a bit like the wife.) which in turn keeps this club alive and kicking with all our problems and triumphs . Boring expensive new car is a definite no no for me. I want a car that's got character and heritage and sometimes a challenge . Rover 75/ ZT it is for me ....O:-)

Seafrost
2nd September 2014, 23:17
I get the opposite reaction, nobody says I am wasting my time or money on my car, despite it being a "steam engine - thanks Steve811", I get asked all the time can people look inside, and the favourite, "I cannot believe Rover went bust"... just a few days ago in Blackwood, I pulled into a parking space, and saw this chap and his lad looking, and sure enough as soon as I got out they came over to look it over and ask me about it.
I never get glanced at when I am in the partners Vauxhall Meriva.... even though its a top spec model, black and very tasty... its just a bland EuroBox...... seen everywhere.
And even my partner, whilst she loves her little runaround... actually loves sitting in the passenger seat of mine, her only bugbear... its a big low to get in... but she loves the comfort of it.
Im happy to throw my money at my car, and others can have their new shiney toys.... that depreciate/sink like a brick thrown in a pool.....

payner75t
3rd September 2014, 09:26
I live in a small village in essex .my road consists of about 20 houses,most of us living here are families ,all around the same age.I currently run a 04 plate zs ,apart from a motorbility car mine is the newest vehicle! Not sure what that says about the area or the people lol!

Vossy
3rd September 2014, 09:35
I can honestly say that my Maggie does get a backwards glance after I park anywhere, it stands out from the run of the mill everyday cars easily. They just look all very similar, the only other car I admired after I walked away from it was my series 2 XJ6. Although some things on this car infuriate me I always look past it and forgive it.
The previous owner brought a Range Rover Evoque and was going to part ex the MG but with only pennies being offered it gave me the chance to obtain it. Bargain - absolute bargain.

lamb190
3rd September 2014, 10:39
i recently bought Gazza190's ZTT 190. im 31 years old. so thought i would get "estate car" comments. however, the car looking so slick as it does with the V8 rear bumper/ ehaust and roewe front bumper its turning heads with all the younger and older guys in work. theres lots of 25-30 year olds that are running modified estate cars near me... does this mean in with the cool kids :D:bowdown:

nomzamo999
3rd September 2014, 10:39
Surely it's all about what makes you happy.
It must be better to own a car you love, but can't sell than a box that holds its value but you wouldn't want to be seen in.

bl52krz
3rd September 2014, 14:40
Your so right Tony, my cars are the one constant in my life at the moment, have been for 2 years and in conjuction with this forum have got me through some dark times.
Quite a few friendships formed through the forum too.

Going forward it's likely to come down to Cars or Women, at the moment the cars are less demanding:D
Women are ALWAYS more demanding.

whitevanman
3rd September 2014, 15:34
Women are ALWAYS more demanding.

Mine just keeps demanding that I spruce up her 75 a bit, fine by me, DD on order (after she got lost on the way to Glasto 3 times!!), Just had an afternoon on a scavenge at the breakers etc. Just got some decent if grubby original Rover badged sandstone mats, 2 replacement front wheel arch liners with bulb hatches and all fixings, a rear door card to replace a child aflicted one, full set of mudflaps and headlight backs as mine went awol..

For the princely sum of £30 :)

okenora
4th September 2014, 19:21
I am a car person, sort of but for my daily driver I only ever spent a few hundred, drove it till it fell apart or was beyond economic MOT passing then bought another......

Well guess what, the 75 is my daily and been through 1 MOT already and is now being prepped for MOT 2, no way I want rid yet. Something about these cars that gets under your skin. My daughter thinks I am mad having an old, ugly car that's way too high and missing a bucket load of bolt on plastic rubbish.

What makes it for me though is when her friends get a lift in it and actually like it, one comment was "feels like arriving in a limo" and mine is nowhere near a minter on looks.

MrDoodles
4th September 2014, 20:28
Well Ed finally is going to the Tyre Company tomorrow, to have 4 new tyres fitted!:}

The cost of the tyres and the alloy wheel refurbs come to more than I paid for him in the 1st place! :duh: ;) :D

Jordan Apex
4th September 2014, 20:34
Well Ed finally is going to the Tyre Company tomorrow, to have 4 new tyres fitted!:}

The cost of the tyres and the alloy wheel refurbs come to more than I paid for him in the 1st place! :duh: ;) :D

I am getting 4 tyres tomorrow too! Avons, they only had contact 5 in tge premium bracket with a price tag of 618 fitted :eek:

MrDoodles
4th September 2014, 20:36
I am getting 4 tyres tomorrow too! Avons, they only had contact 5 in tge premium bracket with a price tag of 618 fitted :eek:

That's what Ed's having fitted tomorrow!

I'm paying slightly less than that for them though!

Jordan Apex
4th September 2014, 20:42
That's what Ed's having fitted tomorrow!

I'm paying slightly less than that for them though!

Yeah avons are 450 or just a bit more with tracking too :)

Mr_Shed
4th September 2014, 20:45
I got set Avon ZZ5's for £480 fitted.

Jordan Apex
4th September 2014, 20:53
I got set Avon ZZ5's for £480 fitted.

I think he said 468 but i can't remember! Where did you get yours done seeing as you're quite local?

Mr_Shed
4th September 2014, 21:13
I think he said 468 but i can't remember! Where did you get yours done seeing as you're quite local?

Hi got mine done in Braintree at Just Tyres, they were really good. :).

Jordan Apex
4th September 2014, 21:22
Hi got mine done in Braintree at Just Tyres, they were really good. :).

Nice, I am going to uncle toms, they have been quite good to me in the past :)

Mr_Shed
4th September 2014, 21:27
Nice, I am going to uncle toms, they have been quite good to me in the past :)

I have found them really good too on my audi and land rover.

hamster19
4th September 2014, 22:39
As Quentin Wilson once said, 'my hero is the bloke who runs the banger'

steveharvey2001
6th September 2014, 10:41
I drive a 10 year old 75 CDT Tourer with over 234,000 on the clock bought off eBay over 6 years ago. But I always appreciate rhe fact that people will buy new cars. Firstly someone lost 16k on mine in the first 3 years giving me a bargain. Secondly as I work in the automotive OEM supply chain, they are effectively paying my salary.

bl52krz
6th September 2014, 22:58
A work colleague, who's ran the same ford focus for the past five years, where it's needed nothing major, just the usual servicing, tyres etc. Hardly ever washed or cleaned it, but still kept going and engine still seemed as good as a ford could be. Just traded it for something 'newer' a 4 yr old Ka with 10k on the clock for ......£6K! and he only got £300 for the perfectly good focus which only needed a good valet.

He asked me what I thought to his 'new' car, although I like him I had to confess that for £6k I'd spend half of that on something big, thirsty and fast and spend the other £3k on the fuel and really enjoy myself! I can barely imagine what my last weekend would have been like - Northampton - Middlesboro - Gateshead - Middlesboro - Gateshead - South Shields - Gateshead - Middlesboro - Northampton ... phew! In a Ka? no thanks.

Several other colleagues seem convinced that a new or newish car on finance every few years is the way to go. They all loose between £2k and £4k a year on their cars but even when I point them at calculating total cost of ownership per mile (then point out that my 75 cdt costs 22p a mile) they still seem to stick their heads in the mud even when they can see that they're spending over 60p /mile in some cases :shrug:. And does the 75 break down any more often than any other 'newer' car? No it doesn't.

Oh, and just remembered whilst out earlier I had 149999 on the clock so will now be over 150,000 miles on it. :D
Just toted up what i have spent buying my cars for all time, and it comes to £11,565 over around 50 years give or take a few. Thats £231.30p a year. Could not get a frame for a decent pushbike now for that. Now thats what i call real bad depreciation. lol