PDA

View Full Version : Tow bar electrics pre-wiring

FrazzleTC
8th September 2014, 18:18
I've just bought a tow bar which comes with the proper Rover electrics kit, meaning that it just plugs in. So, whereabouts is the plug in the car, which this plugs into?
Thanks in advance!

BigRuss
8th September 2014, 18:26
I've just bought a tow bar which comes with the proper Rover electrics kit, meaning that it just plugs in. So, whereabouts is the plug in the car, which this plugs into?
Thanks in advance!

It doesn't just plug in I'm afraid, and depending on the Vin of your car you may need the link lead also ;)

If it's new it should have the instructions, if not they are on Rave ;)

Russ

FrazzleTC
8th September 2014, 18:51
Alas, it's a secondhand one, so there are no instructions. What's involved in connecting it all?
Thanks! :)

raykay
8th September 2014, 19:02
As above, depending on your car, early models have a connector for power, later models need a link kit. In all models, the towing kit cables need connecting to the individual rear light cables.

Sector-9
8th September 2014, 19:57
It's basically a slave unit for the light/switch module which handles exterior lighting and bulb monitoring on your car - consider it a normal bypass towing relay but on steroids!:D

Like all bypass relays, it'll need a reasonably beefy power and ground feed, inputs Tee'd off the existing rear lights so it knows what should be lit, outputs to the trailer socket and in this case, a link to the LSM at the front so it can trigger dash warnings for trailer bulb failure and disable parking sensors and car rear fogs.

BigRuss
8th September 2014, 21:17
Did the towbar and electrics come with the loom that runs to the passenger fusebox area?

If not is it possible to get it? Having it it is going to be a lot easier than without ;)

Russ

FrazzleTC
8th September 2014, 21:40
Unfortunately, it just came with the back-end, and I don't think I'll be able to get the rest, unfortunately! Would I be best to try wiring it another way?

lamb190
9th September 2014, 11:17
i recently fitted towbar elecs. i simply pulled the rear light units, and soldered the wires into the correct lead to
yellow -pin 1 - L/H indicator
blue - pin 2 - fog
white - pin 3 - earth
green - pin 4 - R/H indicator
brown - pin 5 - R/H tail light
red - pin 6 - brake
black - pin 7 - L/H tail light

when i hook up my caravan, i dont seem to get any light or load warning issues. just works :cool:

FrazzleTC
10th September 2014, 08:06
Thanks very much! I'll have a good look at everything in the next couple of evenings, and see what I can do with it!
Thanks to everyone for their replies! Much appreciated!